New Techniques

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I don't remember this topic, so I'm starting it. If I'm duplicating, sorry 'bout that.

What are new techniques you are interested in learning, and what new techniques have you tried, and with what kind of results?

I'm trying something I've never tried before, right now. I placed a steamer insert into my pressure cooker, Filled the vessel with water, but not quite to the bottom of the steamer insert. I then added a half cup of uncooked rice, and after browning some diced venison, added that as well. Now it's happily steaming away, with the rice not touching the water directly. I'm hopping it will cook faster that ordinary steaming, without being too sticky.

I just checked the rice after 20 minutes of cooking, and a natural cool down. It isn't even close to done. The meat on top of it is done to perfection. Unfortunately I can separate the two. I've added another cup of water, put the lid back on, and will check it after another ten minutes of cooking under pressure. I hope this works.:ermm: I just didn't want to have the flavor washed out of the venison by water.

So, what have all of you tried new lately, or are planning to try?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

This morning I used a spoon instead of a knife to make myself a peanut butter sandwich. Does that count? I figured the spoon was easier to *clean off* than the knife :yum:

Good topic. I don't think I've tried any new techniques in a while. I'd have to go back through the dinner threads... or the PPPC-II thread.
I once made steamed Polish potato dumplings. They were suspended above the boiling water by cheesecloth to cook. Now that was outside my box.

Applying a rarely used technique and out of practice with my skills to boot. I recent bought a jar of whole dill pickles. Can't normally eat these. Cut them into 4ths the long way. Filleted the skins off like fileting a fish. Perfect.

Applying a rarely used technique and out of practice with my skills to boot. I recent bought a jar of whole dill pickles. Can't normally eat these. Cut them into 4ths the long way. Filleted the skins off like fileting a fish. Perfect.

I use my serrated peeler to remove the rind from the pickles. The come right off. Like you, the skins raise Cain with me. :angel:

Yeh, for my "new" technique of pressure steaming rice, not a good technique. Teh rice cooked unevenly, and actually took longer to cook than in normal pressure boiling/simmering water. I won't be doing that again. The venison that was made with it was very tender though. So now I know, 40 minutes to cook the rice normally, 15 minutes for the venison steaks in the PC, yup, that oughta do it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom