NUTS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
Often I read or hear someone refer to a flavor as "nutty". I find that rather confusing. As one who mnches on a wide variety of nuts: cashes, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, peanuts, almonds, hickory, black walnuts, coconuts, lichi, macadamia, chestnuts, doughnuts ......all of which have definitely different flavors, I am at a loss as to which one the terms refers.

Folks have said my BW's pie crust has a ntty flavor - her crusts are delicious, but darned if they remind me of any nut.

Evan some wine expert on the tube recently referred to aq nut-like undertone in a wine.. Well, O.K. - if you can have "oak" and "acid" and "vanilla", etc, ad nauseum, in wine, I guess nutt is fine. I guess!

Anyway, does anyone else find this confusing, or am I nuts?

[Awright, I already know the answer! Thanks a lot!!!]

Coot, you are not nuts. I find all these flavor references to wine just as confusing and irrelevant. "Unsophisticated" nose, perhaps, but I don't care, I still enjoy a good glass of wine, no matter what "notes" it conveys.

And you are right on about the wide variety of nuts and their various flavors. All different and enjoyable.

Pass me that bowl and the nutcracker.

Yeah, Mudbug - I have imbibed in my share of wine, but have found a nose in a bottle of it yet - and you may be sure I won't drink should I ever find one!!!

I draw the line at the worm in the tequila bottle!

I think swiss cheese has a nutty flavor. A kind of... I don't know... dry sweetness to it like nuts. Whatever that means. I must be brainwashed by the cooking shows that talk about that nutty flavor. You make a good point. Pass that wine, please.

I think oldcoot when I say it has a nutty flavor, when I eat a particular item it reminds me of a nut or tastes like there is some nuts in the food. Does this help??? Use your imagination cause I know you have a sophisticated pallet.

Sophisticated palate? I dunno about that - I enjoy flavors - strong or subtle, but rarely can identify a particular herb or spice, for example. So not very sophisticated'm afraid.

The commonest "non-nut" thing that reminds me of a nt-like flavor is lightly toasted wheat bread. But that's not much of a stretch, considering that both wheat and nuts are seeds. In fact, I don't know how one seed is just that while the next is called a "nut". Hard shell, maybe? But, then, not all "seeds" are called seeds: legumes are referred to as beans and peas, except for the peanut. Corn seeds - and loosely other grains - are referred to as kernels. I's all very confusing.

And SO terribly important, too! :D

oldcoot said:
Sophisticated palate? I dunno about that - I enjoy flavors - strong or subtle, but rarely can identify a particular herb or spice, for example. So not very sophisticated'm afraid.

The commonest "non-nut" thing that reminds me of a nt-like flavor is lightly toasted wheat bread. But that's not much of a stretch, considering that both wheat and nuts are seeds. In fact, I don't know how one seed is just that while the next is called a "nut". Hard shell, maybe? But, then, not all "seeds" are called seeds: legumes are referred to as beans and peas, except for the peanut. Corn seeds - and loosely other grains - are referred to as kernels. I's all very confusing.

And SO terribly important, too! :D

oldcoot you are hiding under an umbrella of modesty. BTW a peanut is a legume which is what makes them not kosher during passover. Yes that part is confusing, but it is that little tiny pinhead size thing at the end of the peanut that makes it a legume. You are correct oldcoot, there must be some commonality we can find. I have a book in my library about grains, I will make a note to research and get back here with a new thread if I find one. Perhaps the SEED identity would refer to the fact that a seed grows into a plant and a nut does not, except for the acorn, OMG where to go, butting head into hard place. HELP.

I think when "nutty" is mentioned it's referring to the essence/style/type/quality of the taste rather than an actual taste. As in, something can be nutty. Or something can taste of a nut such as "this tastes of peanuts" They are two different things.

Another example: This wine has an almost Orange flavour to it. Which would be referring that the wine had a rich deep flavour or it was bitter/sweet in flavour or maybe that it was acidic yet fruity. Which would be very different from saying it tastes of oranges.

you see the difference? :)

That's my take on it anyway :)

I use that term a lot - when I sautee raw rice in oil and it turns brown and then I cook it - it has a nutty flavor. I think pine nuts have a nutty flavor too :mrgreen:

I think these comments we all understand but find it hard to explain, especially about the sauteed rice (dry pan). I think all stuff is better roasted before cooking, it gives a depth of flavor that nothing else can duplicate. All good comments - ok oldcoot?????

Hello oldcoot..long time no see..good to see you back on the forum again. How is your BW and Lady doing? I do visit the other web site and "Lurk" but I don't do much posting.
Marge

Back
Top Bottom