"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 05-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Olive Oil vs Pam type product

So there I was, a few years ago, thinking I had eliminated all hydrogenated fat products from my kitchen, when I happened to read the ingredients on the can of baking spray I was using, you know, the stuff that comes in an aerosol can that you use to spray on baking pans or casserole dishes to prevent food from sticking. I immediatedly threw that can away. I remembered seeing a gadget you could buy that was a mister, you could add your own oil to the container. So I started looking in catalogs and finally found and ordered one. At first it worked very well, it produced a very fine mist, but nowdays it just spurts, but it works good enough that it will remain my main system of distributing oil on baking surfaces. I use olive oil in the mister and use it for baking cookies, rolls, casseroles, crustless pies like quiches and pumpkin pie, brownies, bars. I also keep on the counter right next to this mister, a gifted tall square hand painted bottle with a stopper and spout that I fill with olive oil. For cookie sheets, I actually will use the bottle of oil rather than the mister. The point is that I use olive oil, or occassionally canola oil, to grease all my baking and cooking pans to keep food from sticking. I especially like the bottle of olive oil out on the counter, it makes it very easy to use.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I keep a bottle of olive oil on the counter too - and I use it to grease everything too.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I have tried the spray oil but to me it smelled something chemical and didn't like it.
When I need just a thin coating, I just drop a small amount of oil in a pan or cooking vessel, and spread it with a paper towel...it does the trick for me.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Executive Chef

You know, I remember not liking the smell of the product either. Have you ever been in a grocery, probably only in the US, and been near the microwaveable pop corn section? It is truely a revolting smell
Old 05-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Well... I don't remember any packaged microwavable popcorn reeking in a supermarket aisle, but I do not care for their flavour, aside from being way too salty, again, it doesn't taste particularly buttery and of some strange substance. I didn't bother to check on the ingredients at that time, but I am pretty sure there exist some undesirable additives...
Old 05-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I bought a pumpable spray bottle for oil at Walmart and it has olive oil in it. I don't care for the spray can stuff either.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
So there I was, a few years ago, thinking I had eliminated all hydrogenated fat products from my kitchen, when I happened to read the ingredients on the can of baking spray I was using, you know, the stuff that comes in an aerosol can that you use to spray on baking pans or casserole dishes to prevent food from sticking. ...
I would be most interested in knowing what cooking "spray" contains "hydrogenated" oils - since hydrogenation is a process to convert liquid oils into solids at room temp (like converting vegetable oil into Crisco). The aerosol cooking sprays have their drawbacks according to some people (the alcohol and propellents for example) - but I seriously doubt hydrogenated anything is among them.

I don't use the aerosol can sprays because I have asthma - and this stuff drive me nuts unless I go outside to spray it ... and hold my breath while I do.

I do have a "pump" bottle that I use for olive oil - but I have to wash it every 2-3 months - otherwise it will clog.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I would be most interested in knowing what cooking "spray" contains "hydrogenated" oils - since hydrogenation is a process to convert liquid oils into solids at room temp (like converting vegetable oil into Crisco). The aerosol cooking sprays have their drawbacks according to some people (the alcohol and propellents for example) - but I seriously doubt hydrogenated anything is among them.

Everbake Food Release. Ingredients include "partially hydrogenated soybean and canola oil"
Old 05-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
Master Chef

I use the spray stuff a lot...I guess I'm not that much of a purist.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
Master Chef

I'm not a purist either. I use both the olive oil & the canola sprays frequently to coat baking & broiler pans, etc.