"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 12-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Omelets on SS

Hi guys - first let me say I'm new to the board, and have read some of the other topics on cooking with SS. My question is, do the same rules apply when cooking something gooey like an omlet?

In my non stick pans I would put a pat of butter with the onions, peppers and ham pieces in while the pan is cold and then just let them cook while i prepared the eggs etc etc. Then pour the eggs in once I felt the other ingredients were ready.

That being said, I got a really nice All-Clad SS omlet pan for Christmas and tried it out this morning. Of course, this same method didn't work in the SS pan. I noticed right away that the eggs were beginning to stick. I now know that i should make sure the pan/butter is nice and hot before putting anything into into it.

question - should I not use butter? wouldn't that scortch, make a lot of smoke and wake up everyone in the house when the smoke alarms go off?

help! It's such a great pan I want to be able to use it everyday without having stuff stick to it.

=M=

Old 12-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Everymom

I have to admit here that I will only use non stick for omelettes or eggs of any type. I think you can do everything else with your SS, but personally, I would avoid doing eggs in it.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.

Use butter and don't get the pan so hot the butter scorches. Typically, you would cook eggs at a medium temperature. Higher temps will result in a browned omlet which is traditionally not preferred. OF course, if you like browned eggs, go for it.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks guys, I'll try it again and see if i can get a better result - but my other Christmas gift was a new 10 inch calphalon nonstick omlette pan - (was kinda hoping for an 8 inch) but it'll work. =)

thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
Master Chef

I have to admit that I NEVER use my stainless steel pans for omelettes. Scrambled eggs - yes; omelettes - no. No matter what I do, how hot the pan is, how much butter I use - yadayadayada - they ALWAYS stick.

However, making an omelette in any of my non-stick pans is poetry in motion.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

You will find that most people who love and swear by SS will almost all tell you that they do have one non stick pan specifically for eggs. Of course eggs can be cooked on SS, but it is a lot harder and non stick is perfect for them. Use your new omlette pan instead and leave the SS for everything else
Old 12-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Now you guys made me feel better... I always thought it was my shortcoming that I never manage to cook eggs on anything but a non stick skillet... so I am not the only one!!
Old 12-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

While it's possible to cook eggs in a SS pan, there is absolutely no need to do so. An inexpensive (or expensive, if you prefer) non-stick pan makes life so must easier and there is no difference in the inished product.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Head Chef

I use my SS or cast iron skillets for omelets; not a single piece of non-stick pots/pans in my kitchen. Like was posted above, do not use as high heat (low to medium-low will do) and I use a bit of a spray along with the butter in it before the skillet is heated all the way. My omelets don't stick; but then again, I have doing it this way all my life too.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Master Chef

Like Shunka; I use my Griswold cast iron for omelets and they never stick. But I cook over a medium low with a lid on to make sure the top of the egg sets properly. When the top is set, I simply invert the pan over a plate, place the hot toppings on one side and fold it over. Teh egg is hot enough to melt the cheese and keep the other toppings hot. In fact, I have to let the egg cool for several minutes before eating. I've also used this method succesefully in my SS as well. Just use that lower temp.

The teflon is easier, but you get that sense of accomplishment when you do it well in SS or CI. At least I do. And yes, I know I'm a strange guy. My children constantly remind me of that fact.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote