Onions - Do you remove the green spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Do you remove the green spots inside the onion? What are the green thingies? Is this an indication that the onion is going or has gone bad? TIA

I guess you are talking about a sprout? In the middle? Just pull it out. They are beginning to "grow".

Sorry but if my oignons turn to a point where they are sprouting, I just throw them out and make a mental note to buy new ones next time I'm in the supermarket.
Not that they ever reach that point with me... depending on what I cook I go through 1lbs of oignons in less than 2 weeks.

Gretchen said:
Now I must ask. What are you all talking about? In an onion?

Yes. The sprout, inside the onion, as you are slicing it.

The onion rots from the inside out.
The green thingy is the shoot - so you could, theoretically, plant it and have baby onions in about 3 months!
Once the onions have a green shoot, they begin to turn soft and sort of sickly. MUCH better to have a nice, crisp, fresh, white (or red!) onion...

yes once they start to sport they arent fresh anymore so just buy what you need so your onions are always fresh

cliveb said:
The onion rots from the inside out.
The green thingy is the shoot - so you could, theoretically, plant it and have baby onions in about 3 months!
Once the onions have a green shoot, they begin to turn soft and sort of sickly. MUCH better to have a nice, crisp, fresh, white (or red!) onion...

Cool, cliveb. Never knew that was an indication of rotting from the inside out. Can I actually plant the green sprouts from the slices of onion, in let's say a pot of soil? I just poke the greenies out with the tip of a knife. Thank you all for your replys.

PS - I probably shouldn't, but I store everything in the fridge - potatoes and onions.

Last edited:
Sadly - just sticking a sprouting onion in the ground will not give you a crop of baby onions without a little more work. First it must grow and flower and go to seed ... you collect the seeds ... plant them in a greenhouse environment a month or two before planting season to get what are called "sets" ... then you plant the sets and they grow into onions. Onions work kind of like tomato plants - you will generally have better luck growing them from baby plants than from seed.

If an onion "rots" from the inside or the outside really depends on how they are stored. A properly stored onion is more likely to sprout - while an improperly stored one is more likely to mold and rot.

Onions and potatoes actually should not be stored in the refrigerator! They should be stored in a cool (50º-60º F), dry, well ventilated (take them out of the plastic bags!), dark location. The cabinet under the sink is NOT a good location ... nor is any other cabinet near water pipes, next to the dishwasher, next to the stove, etc. where there will be big temperature fluctuations. Once they hit the store shelves and you bring them home - you can figure on potatoes lasting 1-2 weeks, dry/storage onions 2-4 weeks.

I keep mine in wire baskets in my pantry and never buy more than I can use in about 2 weeks.

Michael in FtW is absolutely right. You don't get "baby onions" from planting a sprouting mature onion. Doesn't happen. As Michael pointed out, only way to do that would be to plant the onion, allow it to grow & go to seed, collect the seeds, & plant them. And really - why go to all that trouble when it's much easier & faster to purchase onion bulbets or sets specifically meant for planting?

As far as using sprouting onions, it depends on what I'm using the onion for. If it's going to be thoroughly cooked & the onion itself is still firm, I just remove the green sprouting part & use the rest of the bulb. If, however, the onion will be eaten raw, then I don't like to use a sprouting onion, because I find the taste raw tends to be too strong.

Michael in FtW said:
Sadly - just sticking a sprouting onion in the ground will not give you a crop of baby onions without a little more work. First it must grow and flower and go to seed ... you collect the seeds ... plant them in a greenhouse environment a month or two before planting season to get what are called "sets" ... then you plant the sets and they grow into onions. Onions work kind of like tomato plants - you will generally have better luck growing them from baby plants than from seed.

If an onion "rots" from the inside or the outside really depends on how they are stored. A properly stored onion is more likely to sprout - while an improperly stored one is more likely to mold and rot.

Onions and potatoes actually should not be stored in the refrigerator! They should be stored in a cool (50º-60º F), dry, well ventilated (take them out of the plastic bags!), dark location. The cabinet under the sink is NOT a good location ... nor is any other cabinet near water pipes, next to the dishwasher, next to the stove, etc. where there will be big temperature fluctuations. Once they hit the store shelves and you bring them home - you can figure on potatoes lasting 1-2 weeks, dry/storage onions 2-4 weeks.

I keep mine in wire baskets in my pantry and never buy more than I can use in about 2 weeks.

Thanks, Michael. So do ya cut the green stuff out :). I always do. I know about storing etc, but don't always have the space. When I can get a 5-10 lb bag of taters or onions, it saves me several trips to the market.

Appreciate the info, re the green spots mean the onion is rotting from the inside out. Didn't know that. Learn something new here all the time. Thank you for the replys.

mish said:
Thanks, Michael. So do ya cut the green stuff out :). I always do. I know about storing etc, but don't always have the space. When I can get a 5-10 lb bag of taters or onions, it saves me several trips to the market..
Unless the onion has sprouts sticking up out of the stem end - I generally don't worry about it unless I'm going to use it raw - then I pull out the green inner core parts - it's such small couple of layers.

Now - here is an idea on storing onions over winter ... and a great use for your blown-out pantyhose .... I saw this on some show and it is what an Italian housewife did ... drop onions down each leg and tie string between them ... and hang from the ceiling of your root cellar. When you need an onion, just cut one off!

mish said:
Appreciate the info, re the green spots mean the onion is rotting from the inside out. Didn't know that. Learn something new here all the time. Thank you for the replys.
I NEVER said that!!! The green in the center of the onion only means it is sprouting - not rotting. If it turns brown and/or mushy - then it is rotting ... and it can rot from the center out - or from the outside inward.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom