"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

Here's a site I've visited several times in the past. Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Welcome to DC! You could also try broiling the steak in the oven if your oven came with a broiler pan. Turn on the broiler, let it heat, and then put the broiler pan with the steak (you can dry rub the steak or not).The oven rack should be at the top and leave the oven door open about 1 inch (this is one thing my mother could always do until recently--broil a perfect med-rare steak). Depending on how thick the meat is, it will take about 4 minutes each side. If too rare, you can also put it back and cook a little longer--if overcooked, well, not much to do there except eat it. Her thing was to put a little dab of butter on the top when she plated it. When I was young, she always warmed the plates too, but that might have been habit because we ate venison steak almost as often as we ate beef steak (which steak = Friday nights on my mom's 7-meal rotation plan).

I'm partial to tenderloin...but the cuts mentioned above are all good. Good luck!
I'm with you on this. I much prefer steak broiled than fried. I don't salt it until point of service but I do put freshly ground black pepper on the raw steak before putting it under the broiler.

(Writing this felt very weird. In the UK your broiler is what we call a grill and our broiler is a very young chicken!)

As for cooking times, the old chef's trick is a useful one. If you touch the ends of your thumb and forefinger together and press the pad at the base of your thumb, the feeling is the same as you'd get if you pressed a rare steak with your finger, thumb to second/middle finger gives you a medium steak and thumb to third/ring finger gives you a steak that is well done. Hope this helps.

Tags
other, steak