Peeling onions and crying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
callie said:
Constance, I'm going to try the lemon juice. Nothing else works for me. As I've gotten older (???!!!!!!!!!) the tears have gotten worse. mr. callie usually feels sorry for me and does the cutting/dicing. :LOL:

AllenMI, I've never kept my onions in the fridge (except after I've cut them). Do they keep well?

Callie, I've always had very sensitive eyes, and this method really works fore me.

You shouldn't keep your onions in the fridge. They should be stored in a dry, dark place.

Thanks, Constance. I've always kept my onions in a flat box, on the floor, in a drafty corner of my kitchen :LOL: . They keep well! I can't wait to try your method. Thanks for the information!!

As mentioned before, keeping your mouth shut while preparing onions works every time for me. My mom taught me this a few years back, and it works like magic. At first I thought it was just her method of keeping me quiet, but it helped with water eyes nonetheless.

frige

Well, I must not have had them in the fridge long enough. They could be old you think? My knife is not very sharp either. Have everything going against my progress. I have lemons that I will try next . I have to peel them to put them in processor and that is when my eyes sting like crazy no matter if my mout h is open or closed. I finally have to go into other room and t hrow water in my eyes. I haven't checked to see if they sell onions diced already. I know the garlic is available like that will look for onions. I don't think that would be resolving the problem by getting them already diced. Probably cost too much. I know many of you understand what I mean. I don't think white or red onions have the flavor the yellow ones do. I just don't understand why this cer tain bag is so strong.

ITK, I didn't read all the replys, but thought this was pretty funny. I was watching a cable? tv movie - Dinner and a Movie?, can't remember--oh well. At the break, they had the same question. The girl peeled the onions in a bowl of water, put scuba diver goggles on, had a fan blowing away from her, burned a candle, and may have put a clothespin on her nose. :ROFLMAO: You had to be there.:LOL:

I just wear dark sunglasses, and leave the room every few minutes.

Last edited:
someone my hubby works with says she chews gum whilst chopping her onions! I haven't actually tried it yet! To be honest, I always just figured it just goes with the territory, the whole crying thing! never once thought there was something I could do about it! I'm thinking this is ammunition to use for finally getting myself a food processor! :)

Jenny said:
I'm thinking this is ammunition to use for finally getting myself a food processor! :)

Jenny, even when my fp was alive, I didn't feel like dragging it off the shelf, fitting it with the right blade, and washing the whole dang thing - just for one onion.

Bought a mini-chopper on ebay once, and it didn't even chop garlic. I don't mind paying a buck for a pkg of frozen chopped onions.
Just thought I'd throw this one in. :LOL:

Last edited:
very clever, Mish! Never thought of that! You know, I bought a pampered chef chopper and it does very well, 'cept I forget to get it down! how silly is that! Good tip on the frozen onion! is there any difference in quality or flavor that you have seen?

They taste fine to me, Jenny. Mostly I use them for meatloaf/burger mixtures when I'm in a hurry. Mine sat on the shelf, too. Another appliance dust collecter, along with my Magic Bullet. Made tuna salad one time.

Thanks

Sitting here alone reading on the Internet and saw your post. I thank you so much for making me laugh! Most of the time you do anyway but tonite was special. I am happy you caught that with the woman doing everything to prevent from her eyes watering. I cry plenty anyway about life I don't think onions are worth it EVERYtime. You are also right about getting it out and fooling around with all the different parts. Then when you can't find them all at once? That does drive me wild. One time I found a part in where I put my towels. I could not figure that one out. Wonder where your mind goes?

Jenny, if you read th e post mish made you may as well just accept that you have to admit that crying over onions is better than having real cat ast rophe to cry about.

Thankful I did ask because when I do get response it gives ideas of what to try. I just know I can overpower this onion! I will, I will, I will.

In the Kitchen said:
Sitting here alone reading on the Internet and saw your post. I thank you so much for making me laugh! Most of the time you do anyway but tonite was special. I am happy you caught that with the woman doing everything to prevent from her eyes watering. I cry plenty anyway about life I don't think onions are worth it EVERYtime. You are also right about getting it out and fooling around with all the different parts. Then when you can't find them all at once? That does drive me wild. One time I found a part in where I put my towels. I could not figure that one out. Wonder where your mind goes?

Jenny, if you read th e post mish made you may as well just accept that you have to admit that crying over onions is better than having real cat ast rophe to cry about.

Thankful I did ask because when I do get response it gives ideas of what to try. I just know I can overpower this onion! I will, I will, I will.

Thank you ITK. Glad I made you laugh. WE WILL, WE WILL, WE WILL! :LOL: Next time she'll probably be in a space helmet. LOL

For 99 cents, I won't cry about it anymore. I'll even buy TWO! Save my tears for when the dish comes out of the oven, :ROFLMAO:

And don't even ask how many times I cut myself on those foodprocessor sharp blades. Then there's no room in the cupboard to keep all those big blades neat. No more tears for me. LOL

Don't feel badly, once I left my reading glasses in the refrigerator. Oh yeah, then the bf asks me why I'm walking around the house in sunglasses. LOL

Last edited:
I don't cry chopping onion when I'm wearing my contact lenses! It's the perfect shield... (Now this is one good reason not to get lasik eye surgery...) :grin:

OSO onions?

After admitting that I have problem with onions, i go t o store weekend and have display of this type of onion. I was reluctant to try but thought 'why not?' I got home and fixed chili dogs, not a regular dish around here, but t hey all want onions. I got one and started resenting experiencing the whole crying t hing and surprise! No tears. Do you think the world is trying to help me? I could not express my happiness to the family they would think I have lost my mind. So I am sharing with you about this particular onion. I would like to buy more. I don't want to deny someone else the experience of not crying so I will jus t be grateful I have a few and enjoy them. I would buy them all the time if they were available. Has anyone herard of this kind of onion?

No fumes when cut; virtually tearless.
Mild, subtle aroma.
High in sugar and low in pungency.
Very sweet, fruity flavor, with pleasant onion taste
Crisp texture, like a celery stalk or an apple.
Extremely digestible.

do you see this 'extremely digestible' too?

ITK:

That's good luck to find these onions. I think the full name is OSO Sweet.

I looked them up and found they're of the same type as: Vidalia, Walla Walla, Sweet Imperial, Texas Spring Sweet, Texas 1015Y, Carzalia Sweet, Arizona, Granex, and Maui.

I'd bet any of these would give you the same tear-free results.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
It may sound bizarre, but all you have to do is wear swim goggles while chopping. The goggles will keep the fumes away from your eyes.

But leave the swim fins in the garage. You don't want to look stupid.

Back
Top Bottom