"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 02-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #21
DC Grandma

Good answer Sandyj....I know just what you mean.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
Constance, I'm going to try the lemon juice. Nothing else works for me. As I've gotten older (???!!!!!!!!!) the tears have gotten worse. mr. callie usually feels sorry for me and does the cutting/dicing.

AllenMI, I've never kept my onions in the fridge (except after I've cut them). Do they keep well?
Callie, I've always had very sensitive eyes, and this method really works fore me.

You shouldn't keep your onions in the fridge. They should be stored in a dry, dark place.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #23
Head Chef

Thanks, Constance. I've always kept my onions in a flat box, on the floor, in a drafty corner of my kitchen . They keep well! I can't wait to try your method. Thanks for the information!!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:42 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
As mentioned before, keeping your mouth shut while preparing onions works every time for me. My mom taught me this a few years back, and it works like magic. At first I thought it was just her method of keeping me quiet, but it helped with water eyes nonetheless.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:46 PM   #25
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYLINDA
I use my food processor for the dicing...it might help you!
Finally! Someone gives the obvious answer!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyj
Sometimes....I feel like I need a good cry. Cutting up an onion helps things along.....
Keith Urban's Tonight I want to Cry song suddenly popped into my mind . . . . .
Old 02-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #27
Executive Chef

frige

Well, I must not have had them in the fridge long enough. They could be old you think? My knife is not very sharp either. Have everything going against my progress. I have lemons that I will try next . I have to peel them to put them in processor and that is when my eyes sting like crazy no matter if my mout h is open or closed. I finally have to go into other room and t hrow water in my eyes. I haven't checked to see if they sell onions diced already. I know the garlic is available like that will look for onions. I don't think that would be resolving the problem by getting them already diced. Probably cost too much. I know many of you understand what I mean. I don't think white or red onions have the flavor the yellow ones do. I just don't understand why this cer tain bag is so strong.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:04 PM   #28
Executive Chef

ITK, I didn't read all the replys, but thought this was pretty funny. I was watching a cable? tv movie - Dinner and a Movie?, can't remember--oh well. At the break, they had the same question. The girl peeled the onions in a bowl of water, put scuba diver goggles on, had a fan blowing away from her, burned a candle, and may have put a clothespin on her nose. You had to be there.

I just wear dark sunglasses, and leave the room every few minutes.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #29
Senior Cook

someone my hubby works with says she chews gum whilst chopping her onions! I haven't actually tried it yet! To be honest, I always just figured it just goes with the territory, the whole crying thing! never once thought there was something I could do about it! I'm thinking this is ammunition to use for finally getting myself a food processor!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:25 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny
I'm thinking this is ammunition to use for finally getting myself a food processor!
Jenny, even when my fp was alive, I didn't feel like dragging it off the shelf, fitting it with the right blade, and washing the whole dang thing - just for one onion.

Bought a mini-chopper on ebay once, and it didn't even chop garlic. I don't mind paying a buck for a pkg of frozen chopped onions.
Just thought I'd throw this one in.