"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 02-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #31
Senior Cook

very clever, Mish! Never thought of that! You know, I bought a pampered chef chopper and it does very well, 'cept I forget to get it down! how silly is that! Good tip on the frozen onion! is there any difference in quality or flavor that you have seen?

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #32
Executive Chef

They taste fine to me, Jenny. Mostly I use them for meatloaf/burger mixtures when I'm in a hurry. Mine sat on the shelf, too. Another appliance dust collecter, along with my Magic Bullet. Made tuna salad one time.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Thanks

Sitting here alone reading on the Internet and saw your post. I thank you so much for making me laugh! Most of the time you do anyway but tonite was special. I am happy you caught that with the woman doing everything to prevent from her eyes watering. I cry plenty anyway about life I don't think onions are worth it EVERYtime. You are also right about getting it out and fooling around with all the different parts. Then when you can't find them all at once? That does drive me wild. One time I found a part in where I put my towels. I could not figure that one out. Wonder where your mind goes?

Jenny, if you read th e post mish made you may as well just accept that you have to admit that crying over onions is better than having real cat ast rophe to cry about.

Thankful I did ask because when I do get response it gives ideas of what to try. I just know I can overpower this onion! I will, I will, I will.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Sitting here alone reading on the Internet and saw your post. I thank you so much for making me laugh! Most of the time you do anyway but tonite was special. I am happy you caught that with the woman doing everything to prevent from her eyes watering. I cry plenty anyway about life I don't think onions are worth it EVERYtime. You are also right about getting it out and fooling around with all the different parts. Then when you can't find them all at once? That does drive me wild. One time I found a part in where I put my towels. I could not figure that one out. Wonder where your mind goes?

Jenny, if you read th e post mish made you may as well just accept that you have to admit that crying over onions is better than having real cat ast rophe to cry about.

Thankful I did ask because when I do get response it gives ideas of what to try. I just know I can overpower this onion! I will, I will, I will.
Thank you ITK. Glad I made you laugh. WE WILL, WE WILL, WE WILL! Next time she'll probably be in a space helmet. LOL

For 99 cents, I won't cry about it anymore. I'll even buy TWO! Save my tears for when the dish comes out of the oven,

And don't even ask how many times I cut myself on those foodprocessor sharp blades. Then there's no room in the cupboard to keep all those big blades neat. No more tears for me. LOL

Don't feel badly, once I left my reading glasses in the refrigerator. Oh yeah, then the bf asks me why I'm walking around the house in sunglasses. LOL
Old 02-20-2006, 12:44 AM   #35
Head Chef

I don't cry chopping onion when I'm wearing my contact lenses! It's the perfect shield... (Now this is one good reason not to get lasik eye surgery...) :grin:
Old 02-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #36
Executive Chef

OSO onions?

After admitting that I have problem with onions, i go t o store weekend and have display of this type of onion. I was reluctant to try but thought 'why not?' I got home and fixed chili dogs, not a regular dish around here, but t hey all want onions. I got one and started resenting experiencing the whole crying t hing and surprise! No tears. Do you think the world is trying to help me? I could not express my happiness to the family they would think I have lost my mind. So I am sharing with you about this particular onion. I would like to buy more. I don't want to deny someone else the experience of not crying so I will jus t be grateful I have a few and enjoy them. I would buy them all the time if they were available. Has anyone herard of this kind of onion?

No fumes when cut; virtually tearless.
Mild, subtle aroma.
High in sugar and low in pungency.
Very sweet, fruity flavor, with pleasant onion taste
Crisp texture, like a celery stalk or an apple.
Extremely digestible.

do you see this 'extremely digestible' too?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

ITK:

That's good luck to find these onions. I think the full name is OSO Sweet.

I looked them up and found they're of the same type as: Vidalia, Walla Walla, Sweet Imperial, Texas Spring Sweet, Texas 1015Y, Carzalia Sweet, Arizona, Granex, and Maui.

I'd bet any of these would give you the same tear-free results.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #38
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
It may sound bizarre, but all you have to do is wear swim goggles while chopping. The goggles will keep the fumes away from your eyes.
But leave the swim fins in the garage. You don't want to look stupid.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
But leave the swim fins in the garage. You don't want to look stupid.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #40
Master Chef

Using sharp knife helps a lot.