Peeling onions and crying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will do

I have to shut my mouth and get my knives sharpened! Seems I have been told that somewhere else before I made this post. At least it does seem familiar. I wish I could keep up wi th everything that I want to accomplish. Like my mind telling me stop crying about it and do what they said! I am anxious to get the knives sharpened. I wish I could afford two sets. Maybe that would help. Sorry about complaining. Since I found these onions t hey really are great. Thanks for your interest .

Foodfiend

That was really interesting. I do know now that the type of onion does make the difference. I just wonder if the flavor changes too. Just have to keep on trying to see how it goes. Can't live without onions.

Hey, ITK, its pretty reasonable to buy your own sharpening stone and steel. If you do that, PM me and I will give you the 5 minute lesson on how to sharpen your knives.

Thanks

Thanks Alix, for the suggestion. However, last time I went to have knives sharpened the guy told me to consider getting new ones. I have Chicago Cutlery from when I first got married. I liked them then but now have different feeling. I know there are better ones to be had. I like to look at the cooking shows to see how they all manage to prepare their vegetables in such short time. Everything seems so long when you don't have the proper materials to work with. Must be some kind of lesson here but I sure don't know what it is. Maybe patience? Thanks all for comments.

generally as long as I dont hunch over my onions i don't get any sulfuric acid in my eyes.

but sharp knives help a bunch too

I'll repeat two suggestions already mentioned. A very, very sharp knife, and refrigerating the onions. Hubby is in charge of chopping onions, and often asks me to toss a couple onions in the fridge when I'm asking him to chop. But I'm continually amazed at the kitchens I help out in that don't have a sharp knife. You don't want to crush those cells, you want to slice in and around them.

Back
Top Bottom