Peeling onions and crying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does anyone know how to peel onions without crying? they are always required in a recipe and I have no choice but to use them when a recipe will be no good without them. I am talking about yellow onions. I don't think the red onions make me cry. I used to hold them under running water but that doesn't seem to work.

good ventilation helps...turn on your fan or hood vent and chop near it.
a potato sliced in half at the edge of your cutting board is said to help...never bothered to try it myself. SKi gogles!

under cold water it helps some,or try a sweet onion you don't cry at all
"the only onion not to make you cry"which works just as well as yellow onions...

You can stick them in the fridge before you peel/chop them. Or this works best, but sometimes I don't have the space: put your chopping board (wooden) on the front part of your stove. Of course, make sure that it is firmly in place! Now, turn on one of the BACK burners to medium or so. Let it heat up, and peel/chop away! Somehow the heat takes whatever it is in onions away from the air around you; I know, sounds really scientific, huh? But it works!

The best, simplest and no gimmick trick that, while not getting rid of the watery eyes, certainly does reduce it is to breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose while you are preparing them.

Largely the effect that an onion has on your eyes is actually through your nasal cavity.

Haggis said:
The best, simplest and no gimmick trick that, while not getting rid of the watery eyes, certainly does reduce it is to breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose while you are preparing them.

Largely the effect that an onion has on your eyes is actually through your nasal cavity.
LOL The way that works best for me is to keep my mouth shut the whole time. I heard that tip years ago, and it works for me.

:) Barbara

Sulfuric acid forms in your eye from the chemicals released when the cells of the onion are crushed. So a sharp knife helps a lot. The sharper the knife, the less chemical is released.

I once read somewhere that lighting a scented candle nearby to where you're peeling the onions helps. I've never tried this, but I wonder if my candle will smell like onions after that? :ermm:

I am with Jenny on this. A sharp knife is the way to do. The duller the knife, the more of a chance you will be crying. Also a cold onion will help too.

My friends, I have solved the problem. Put lemon juiced (bottled or fresh) on your cutting board and cut sides of lemon. You will not cry, nor will you notice any different taste of the onion.

Last edited:
It may sound bizarre, but all you have to do is wear swim goggles while chopping. The goggles will keep the fumes away from your eyes.

A strong fan blowing across the cutting board will also blow the fumes away from your eyes.

I always store my onions in the refrigerator, to keep them cold. I never cry. I also agree about keeping your knife sharp. It doesn't crush the onion, and it's safer, anyway.

When I lost my "sense of smell" some 8 years ago...I've never had trouble again. I don't recommend it for you though....lol. I use my food processor for the dicing...it might help you!

thanks

you all offered some interesting ideas about what to do to prevent me from crying. It is so durn annoying when you have to stop to wipe your eyes with a cloth. I do get impatient when I know I will have to look forward to this happening. Evidently you all know what I am talking about. I thank you all and will keep onions in fridge and get knives sharpened. Have t o keep up with all these details makes the job so complicated. I really don't have a choice t o eliminate the onions. They are so vital in soup and so man other dishes. I will try all your suggestions and see whic h one is the best. Appreciate your interest. Thanks for understanding.

Constance, I'm going to try the lemon juice. Nothing else works for me. As I've gotten older (???!!!!!!!!!) the tears have gotten worse. mr. callie usually feels sorry for me and does the cutting/dicing. :LOL:

AllenMI, I've never kept my onions in the fridge (except after I've cut them). Do they keep well?

Back
Top Bottom