"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Play of words - cooking terms

i ran across a recipe that you sear steak first on stove and finish in oven(same oven temp.) ....one is called roasted steak and the other is called baked steak.The title on the these being different is it just a play of words?As you know i am trying to cook and still a little fussy on names of things. Like for instance some where some one thought ...oh was my mom that roasted potatoes and baked were the same..when they are not.(baked both but roasted has a crispy skin) Thought the same with the steak recipe?

Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Not to confuse the issue but I would call that pan roasted. I haven't heard of the two terms you listed.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Wine Guy

I've heard the term "baked steak" used to describe the same thing: searing on the stovetop and then putting it into the oven to finish.

I don't get caught up too much on the terms used. It's the results that are important.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Cook

play of words

I made something last night and i would like your thoughts on it. I know a lot of you are not into cooking terms,but i feel when some one ask what i call it i would be right in knowing what it is called. I know i made it could call it anything i want . Ok.....well i went off on a recipe called roasted chicken......that recipe was basically rub butter on the whole chicken or oil and set it on a bed of veg. with only 1/4 cup of water if that, at 350. so what i did was the same thing but used a steak (rib eye) oil it etc... on bed of veg. and water,350 degrees and made another one with another rib eye and did like the above,except this time nestled it down in the veg.. The result was the nestled down one was more tender. so, would the one i nestled down in the veg. be called baked where as the other roasted steak?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Head Chef

Yeah. The terms for cooking methods just aren't very precise. Just too many variations and sequences. And it's aggravated by common uses, like "steamed" rice that's mostly boiled and only steamed toward the end of the cycle. Take your same roasted/baked steak and add liquid and put the lid on in the over, and it's braised.

I think all that matters is that the name of the dish isn't too misleading. So if you called the second steak "steak baked in vegetables" and the previous one "steak baked on a bed of vegetables" you can't be too mistaken. I'd have a reasonable idea of what you must have done. If you try to cram something unusual into a plain term, you're going to start off with a wrong notion of what to expect.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Senior Cook

play of words

would it be wrong to say the first is roasted steak ?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
would it be wrong to say the first is roasted steak ?

No, that's just what it was.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Senior Cook

play of words

thanks for the help. Does the title on this recipe fit on what it has you do. Cover and simmer .....how is that oven roasted ? Just dont understand where they get it to call it oven roasted?..OVEN ROASTED ROUND STEAK
A 1 sauce
1 large can tomatoes
2 med. onions
3 stalks celery, cut up
1 whole round steak, 2 lbs. or more
Salt and flour steak which has been cut in serving size pieces. Brown quick on high heat in little fat.
Put in roaster pan, sliced onions, chopped celery and cut up tomatoes on top. Sprinkle generously with A 1 sauce and cover and simmer in 350 degree oven for two hours or until tender.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
thanks for the help. Does the title on this recipe fit on what it has you do. Cover and simmer .....how is that oven roasted ? Just dont understand where they get it to call it oven roasted?..OVEN ROASTED ROUND STEAK
A 1 sauce
1 large can tomatoes
2 med. onions
3 stalks celery, cut up
1 whole round steak, 2 lbs. or more
Salt and flour steak which has been cut in serving size pieces. Brown quick on high heat in little fat.
Put in roaster pan, sliced onions, chopped celery and cut up tomatoes on top. Sprinkle generously with A 1 sauce and cover and simmer in 350 degree oven for two hours or until tender.

Absolutely not! This is a stew or a braise, not an oven roasted meat. The distinction is that an oven roast is dry roasted as you would roast a chicken, on a rack or bed of veggies UNCOVERED.

The problem with internet recipes is that there is no one who can validate/correct a recipe before it's published.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Senior Cook

play of words

in regards to the internet .....there is a site called Bettys kitchen.I was told thats a good site to learn from to, a lot of videos. But i would think there she would have some one checking to see if things are right? Well there is one video i have a question on and that is Bettys oven roast chicken video. The title doesnt match what she does......she is using a lid to cook the chicken,so this would steamed right not roasted.......SO how is she able to still call this roast chicken? I know i shouldnt get hung up on terms,but i just would like to have an idea on how or why she calls this roasted chicken when its clearly steamed by using lid? Thanks

Tags
cooking