"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 07-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You shouldn't feel stupid. Actually, you were clever enough to realize there were differences and to ask the questions. As I understand it, there is also a difference in the size of a cup measure and tablespoon.
Thanks. Yes there are differences. I never correct for them LOL. I don't make too many recipes from Australia any more. Just the occasional pavlova, Christmas pudding and shortbread. I don't know what the difference in the cup measure is (to me a cup is 250 ml). As for the tablespoon thing, in one country (the US?) I think it is 30 ml while in Australia it is equal to 4 tsp = 20 ml. I could be wrong. I just use the table spoon measures I have in my kitchen and they were all bought in the US.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #12
Everymom

Hey Malgal, a tbsp in North America is 15ml or 3 tsps. In the UK it is 20ml. Not sure what it is in Oz. I'm attaching my favorite blueberry muffin recipe. Give this one a go. Its lovely!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Hey Malgal, a tbsp in North America is 15ml or 3 tsps. In the UK it is 20ml. Not sure what it is in Oz. I'm attaching my favorite blueberry muffin recipe. Give this one a go. Its lovely!
Oooh, thanks for the recipe. I have more blueberries so I will give them a shot this afternoon. Have you ever tried using blueberry yogurt instead of the pie filling? I see you suggest just using extra milk but I was wondering if yogurt might work since I have a tub of blueberry in my fridge right now.

And yes, 15 ml - I was thinking of a medicine measuring cup where 30 ml is actually 2 tbsp - thanks for the correction! In Oz it is 20 ml.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #14
Head Chef

In muffin recipes that call for sour cream, yogurt would be a good substitute.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #15
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malgal View Post
Oooh, thanks for the recipe. I have more blueberries so I will give them a shot this afternoon. Have you ever tried using blueberry yogurt instead of the pie filling? I see you suggest just using extra milk but I was wondering if yogurt might work since I have a tub of blueberry in my fridge right now.

And yes, 15 ml - I was thinking of a medicine measuring cup where 30 ml is actually 2 tbsp - thanks for the correction! In Oz it is 20 ml.
I've not used yogurt. The pie filling really punches up the blueberry flavor. I think you should try the yogurt and maybe add some smushed blueberries to it and see what happens. Let us know, I think that would be a good experiment and it would likely have good results.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
Master Chef

Malgal; Typically, moisture in quickbreads (muffins, cakes, banana bread, etc.) comes from the fat content in the batter. If your recipe calls for 1/3 cup of oil, try increasing it to 1/3, plus two tbs. This will result in a more moist end product. As for the crumble top, or streusel falling off, add a tbs. or so of water to the topping mixture. This will allow the starches in the flour to bind together, without making it too wet. As for flavor, add more sweetener to the batter. A great way to intensify the blueberry flavor is to purchase concentrated blueberry juice and add a couple tbs. to the batter.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
Master Chef

I really don't have any information to add here, but I just wanted to welcome you to the site, Malgal. This thread is a very interesting read. I hope you stick around Malgal, I bet you'll find it as addicting as I have. Again, welcome to DC.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thanks to everyone for their input and the welcomes :) Here is what I ended up doing. I used 1/2 cup of blueberry yogurt instead of the pie filling. Since it was fat-free, I added an extra tablespoon of butter. I am eating a muffin hot out of the oven right now and it is delicious! Perhaps a bit heavier than muffins usually are but I am not sure. I don't regularly eat muffins.

Now off to find something to do with the fresh blackberries before they go moldy! Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malgal View Post

Now off to find something to do with the fresh blackberries before they go moldy! Thanks again everyone.
I made a "no cook" jam, just incase anyone is wondering. Yummy!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
a tbsp in North America is 15ml or 3 tsps. In the UK it is 20ml.
I hate to have to correct you, but in the UK a tbsp [tablespoon] is 15ml and not 20ml.

see "Liquid Measures" on the following conversion chart:

Conversion Tables

Phaedra - expat Brit