Please help with these terms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussie girl

Senior Cook
I really dont think I've lived a sheltered existence, but the following terms have me baffled. Could someone please help with the meaning of;

half and half
&amp
what is the quantity or weight of a 'stick' of margarine?

I'm sure there are others that I cant think of right now. I will post them here when I come across them.

Thanks heaps

half and half = half cream, half milk
&amp = a typo
stick of margarine - in the U.S., margarine and butter are usually sold in packages containing four sticks of 4 oz. (113 g) each per package. Each stick is equal to 1/2 cup.

&amp = a typo

Thanks mudbug, that opened up a whole new list of recipes here that I can now try.

Still wondering about the "&amp" though, as I'm finding in lots of postings here.

Another One I've come across is; Evoo?? - I think

EVOO stands for extra virgin olive oil, much beloved by many of our members.

&amp, I'm guessing, is some sort of glitch that appears instead of a smiley or symbol that people are attempting to insert in their posts. Admins?

Something with 'ampersand'?

I think it's a glitch when someone types '&' - and it comes out &amp - let's see:blink:

testing again & - oh well - gave it a good try!

Just to confuse the issue further....I've noticed it comes up most when used in "Salt & Pepper" in recipes, as in the example post that I gave above

As you can see, the "&" types as normal. Totally bewildered, as I've seen it in literally dozens of recipe postings.

Last edited:
I appreciate your help anyway mudbug and marmalady. Hopefully there will be someone here to satisfy all our curiousities now.

Some text editors get confused when they see an ampersand (&) because it is sometimes used as a command or deliminator in some editors. Read the recipe ...

In your example: Salt &amp pepper is ... Salt and Pepper, or more correctly - Salt & pepper

Thanks Michael. I'm so pleased to have that cleared up. Silly me had illusions that it may have been an American brand of pepper!!!!

Thanks Aussie Girl!

For asking that question! I too was wondering what that meant! I was looking for the answer when i ran across your question! Hahahahaha. How ironic. Thanks Michael! Your very knowledgeable. I'll have to pick your brain more often!! hahahahah:LOL:

"half n half"

Heavy cream (such as whipping cream) is about 36% fat. Half-n-half is half that, about 18%. Whole Milk is about 4%. Sweet Butter (unsalted) is about 80% fat. Margarine, also, is about 80% fat and 20% water.

SUBSTITUTIONS: Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. For example, butter and margarine have the same fat and water content, but you can't make a beurre blanc with margarine because it lacks the proteins in butter (which act as emulsifiers). Also, if you want to make a "pan sauce" from the deglazed fond in the pan with some "liquid" like water or wine and some butter - it has to be butter to get the "creamy" texture .. margarine just gives you an "oil slick" - unless you want to throw in an egg yolk to act as the emulsifier. Although, you could use 1/4 - 1/2 the "liquid" and use heavy cream and wind up with something similar as far as texture and "mouth feel".

Sometimes - you can substitute. I've got a recipe from my Grandmother for a chocolate sheet cake ... and replaced her "oleo margarine" with butter flavored Crisco and it's moister, doesn't dry out as quickly, and has a better butter "flavor". I normally don't mess with Grandma's recipes .. but I spent a good month researching before I monkeyed with this one.

The USDA actually regulates the amounts of butterfat in dairy products.

European counterparts often are higher in fat than whan we have here.

Chef Wil said:
Crisco butter flavor is almost the same as the old 'oleo' from the 60's and before, just whip some water and salt into it and there you go.

Yep, that's what I did ... 1 cup Crisco + 6 Tablespoons water to = 1 cup Butter/Oleo.

This was one of my "experiments" that turned out okay. It reduced the saturated fat by 50%, increased the butter "flavor", made the cake moister and it stayed moister for longer (Grandma's recipe began to get noticeably dryer after 3 days and this was still moist after 6).

While we aussies are asking questions what is powdered sugar? (is it like icing sugar) and is all purpose flour plain flour or self raising?

mrsmac said:
While we aussies are asking questions what is powdered sugar? (is it like icing sugar) and is all purpose flour plain flour or self raising?

Yes, you're right - powdered sugar is icing sugar (also called confectioner's sugar). All purpose flour is plain flour. :)

Here are some others that I've found (Brits & Aussies speak the same English :LOL:)

Caster sugar = bakers sugar,
Coriander Leaf = Cilantro
Aubergine = Eggplant
Courgette = zucchini
orange/blackcurrant/lemon squash = not invented in USA yet (at least, not in the west...:-p)
Double cream = heavy cream
Spring Onion = Green onion/Salad onion

For a complete listing of synonyms and substitutions for all sorts of ingredients, check out http://www.foodsubs.com

Paint.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom