Poach A Court-Boullion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daphne duLibre

Washing Up
Just reviewed Alton Brown on "Good Eats" re: poaching.

He covers the basics: Poached egg in vinaigre/salt. Court-boullion, and creme sauce -- sort of a bechamel.

His court-boullion uses a mil frois -- onions, carrots, celery. I don't care for carrots, neutral on celery.

Brown notes that poaching is an excellent cooking method for foods which tend to dry out. Eggs, pork, fish . . .

I'm thinking beer . . . as a court-boullion.

I prefer the "Cajun Trinity" to the "mir fois" -- Emeril, and the Food Channel won't spell it out for me. Emeril's French stinks!

So, oinions, green peppers, celery. I like to add garlic. "Garlic don't need no reason" -- Alton Brown.

Minced . . . in beer. I use cheap ale.

Then we poach some fish. Catfish seems obvious -- Cajun. I'd add some Tabasco.

Sea Bass, Dover Sole . . .

But I wonder about pork. Chops, loin, boneless shoulder?

Anyone in here poach in a "court boullion" from beer? Seems obviously "Cajun" and SW cooking derived.

Daphne duLibre:
First, since Emerald wont help, here is the spelling, Mire Piox.

I think that poaching should be done with foods that cook semi-fast (5-10 mins). If you would poach a pork butt in the beer or court-boullion I think you might be a little disappointed. My favorite type of cooking is braising. This allows so many different flavors to be intruduced.

As far as, poaching in beer I can provide a helpful hint. Make sure you let you beer go flat before putting in the pot and bring it to a boil. If you not you are going to be foam.

mire poix ... French chop of arromatic veggies (carrot onion celery) very similar to the Spanish sofrito ... celery onion green pepper garlic

you certainly can switch the mix and thus the flavor. It won't be a court boullion anymore, but it will be tasty. and beer or a dry white vermouth make excellent poaching liquids. try different beers for different tastes...a clear crisp pilsner with light foods, and a darker lager or porter or stout for heavier meatier dishes.

for those who don't want any alcohol, make a mix of a good veggie broth and tomato juice or V-8. excellent for poaching

Humm ... since Daphne was a bicycle fan - maybe he's "peddeling" his thoughts elsewhere?

Sorry - couldn't pass that one up ... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom