"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 08-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds good to me.

BTW, I copied that red pepper sauce recipe and will be trying it soon. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
Sous Chef

The best method to use is, as you have realised, to pour your polenta from a piece of folded baking paper (or even regular paper). Also pouring from a bit of a height does help as well rather than really close to the water's surface.

It is easier to do with one person stirring the water, the other pouring, but if you haven't got a helper on hand you can stir the water in your pot quite quickly (taking care not to spill water over the sides) creating a bit of a whirlpool vortex thing happening, then begin to pour your polenta in a thin steady stream.

As for lumps being present in you polenta even before you stirred it in it is probably moisture. You could take some amount of muslin (cheesecloth) put some rice in it then secure it very tightly with a rubber band. This will help to absorb some of the moisture.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:04 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
I will make sure to tell HH that, Andy! I made plenty, so there will be lots left over. What do you think - fry it up in olive oil for tonight and in butter for breakfast?
Mud.
try a little of both..I like butter but mix in a little evoo as well..One other thing, I don't know if anyone but me does this, but the brand of polenta I buy had a recipe for it to be done in the oven!! no lumps, no spattering, just good ol polenta, I add extra butter and some parmesan as I take it out of the oven and it works great..If your interested the brand is Pheasant and even my Italian m-i-l used to love it.
kadesma..If you can't find this brand I'll get the recipe for you.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:25 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Beginner's Luck?

Well, apparently the little lumps in my first polenta decided to lie down and take their beating because the finished product was wonderfully creamy yet firm enough to stand up to grilling in my trusty iron skillet.

I chilled the mix first in a 9 x 13 pan, then used a wineglass rim to stamp out six medallions for frying.

I suppose it isn't possible to gather the scraps together and re-form them like you do with pie dough. No matter - I'll eat them anyway.

My hunch was correct. Delicious with that red pepper sauce.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and tips!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

That sounds delicious Mudbug! Next time, to avoid the scraps, cut then into squares or rectangles or even triangles. No more scraps that way.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:08 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Mudbug,

if you have leftover scraps, break them up and then warm them up in a skillet with some butter, I love them that way and keep back several slices to do just that with. If I have a meat sauce I will sometimes mix that in, makes a great little lunch
kadesma
Old 09-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Double Boiler

Try Just tossing all your ingredients into a bowl and cook it over a double boiler until you have the cosistancy you're looking for.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:58 PM   #18
Head Chef

I've always just used a measuring cup - never had a problem - but the paper idea sounds good. I also grill the chilled polenta on the BBQ and that's delightful.

BTW did you add some Parmesan cheese? That's also extremely delicious!

Polenta is grand with everything!