"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 05-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #11
Sous Chef

So what happens next, you have a potato that is half way to nowhere, cooked on the surface and raw in the middle.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
Nice, but why would I wait 15 minutes to peel them, I wouldn't gain time this way, on the contrary.
I agree. It's cute but incredibly inefficient.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Although I try never to peel potatoes (most of the nutrition and I think most of
the taste reside in the skin) - the technique works - with Potato, garlic, tomato.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in brooklyn View Post
Although I try never to peel potatoes (most of the nutrition and I think most of
the taste reside in the skin) - the technique works - with Potato, garlic, tomato.
The only things I use this technique for are fresh pearl onions and tomatoes.

The skin of the potato is nutritious and has a lot of fiber, but the potato itself has at least as many nutrients. Also, the skin can harbor pesticides and other chemicals -- the meat of the potato can too, but they can be more concentrated in the skin.

Also, you should at least peel a little bit of the spud, as a potato that has turned or is turning green isn't safe to eat. You need to peel and remove all the green before you eat it.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

It's cool but a bit cumbersome. Maybe fast when you need to do a hundred potatoes, but when it's just for a few persons, I think it's quicker to peel them. And more energy-efficient.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
Cook

Yep, I've seen this method before. Most notably Alton Brown showcased this method on his show good eats. This method also allows some of the nutrients from the skin to permeate the flesh of the potato while boiling, so it is more nutritious than taking the skin off pre-boiling.

Personally, I don't do this. why? no real reason. I suppose I'm just caught up in tradition, as I use an old fashioned potato peeler to dress my taters. Red potatos I refuse to peel, as the skins are so thin and the nutrients are just begging to be eaten.

You can probably skip the shock treatment in the ice water and just let the potatos cool naturally a few minutes. I don't think the ice water is required to make the skin peel off. :)
Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Wow, blanching potatoes! Who would have known. I've done this for peaches, nectarines, plums, and tomatoes. Instead of scoring all the way around, I make an "x" on the bottom of the fruit. That seems to be the most popular suggestion. Of course the time in the boiling water is much shorter! Never done an experiment to see if the ice water is strictly necessary, but everything I've seen calls for it and usually the recommendation is to leave the fruit in the ice bath for as long as it was in the boiling water.

That said, I don't boil potatoes anymore. When I make them on the stovetop for potato salad or mashed potatoes, I steam them. They taste much more potato-y and, from what I've read, retain more nutrients this way.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
That said, I don't boil potatoes anymore. When I make them on the stovetop for potato salad or mashed potatoes, I steam them. They taste much more potato-y and, from what I've read, retain more nutrients this way.
Amen to that. :) I love steaming food, and prefer it over boiling. Although I admit to taking the easy way out on my potatos lately...I wrap them in cling wrap and put them in the microzapper for a few minutes. That allows the moisture from within to steam the potato without the hot water bath, and without me needing to whip out the steaming basket and the pot of boiling water. :)
Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

wow! This is amazing. Thanks for sharing it. :) I still have to learn this though. :)