Potato peeling technique, I hadn't seen it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that is interesting but after they are cooled in the ice are they still hot enough to make mashed potatoes?

I think the idea is to cook them long enough (I thnke she said 15 minutes) to loosen the skin. So you cook them, take 'em out after 15 minutes, cool them a little so they can be handled, peel them and then put them back in to finish cooking. Does that help?

That is pretty cool , but I think it may take long time to cook them, put it in the ice and then cook them back ! I will try it ! I am curious to see how well it works , thanks a lot for sharing !

That's how I peel peaches and tomatoes... of course, the boiling time is much shorter.

Although I try never to peel potatoes (most of the nutrition and I think most of
the taste reside in the skin) - the technique works - with Potato, garlic, tomato.

The only things I use this technique for are fresh pearl onions and tomatoes.

The skin of the potato is nutritious and has a lot of fiber, but the potato itself has at least as many nutrients. Also, the skin can harbor pesticides and other chemicals -- the meat of the potato can too, but they can be more concentrated in the skin.

Also, you should at least peel a little bit of the spud, as a potato that has turned or is turning green isn't safe to eat. You need to peel and remove all the green before you eat it.

It's cool but a bit cumbersome. Maybe fast when you need to do a hundred potatoes, but when it's just for a few persons, I think it's quicker to peel them. And more energy-efficient.

Yep, I've seen this method before. Most notably Alton Brown showcased this method on his show good eats. This method also allows some of the nutrients from the skin to permeate the flesh of the potato while boiling, so it is more nutritious than taking the skin off pre-boiling.

Personally, I don't do this. why? no real reason. I suppose I'm just caught up in tradition, as I use an old fashioned potato peeler to dress my taters. Red potatos I refuse to peel, as the skins are so thin and the nutrients are just begging to be eaten.

You can probably skip the shock treatment in the ice water and just let the potatos cool naturally a few minutes. I don't think the ice water is required to make the skin peel off. :)

Wow, blanching potatoes! Who would have known. I've done this for peaches, nectarines, plums, and tomatoes. Instead of scoring all the way around, I make an "x" on the bottom of the fruit. That seems to be the most popular suggestion. Of course the time in the boiling water is much shorter! Never done an experiment to see if the ice water is strictly necessary, but everything I've seen calls for it and usually the recommendation is to leave the fruit in the ice bath for as long as it was in the boiling water.

That said, I don't boil potatoes anymore. When I make them on the stovetop for potato salad or mashed potatoes, I steam them. They taste much more potato-y and, from what I've read, retain more nutrients this way.
potato.gif

That said, I don't boil potatoes anymore. When I make them on the stovetop for potato salad or mashed potatoes, I steam them. They taste much more potato-y and, from what I've read, retain more nutrients this way.
potato.gif

Amen to that. :) I love steaming food, and prefer it over boiling. Although I admit to taking the easy way out on my potatos lately...I wrap them in cling wrap and put them in the microzapper for a few minutes. That allows the moisture from within to steam the potato without the hot water bath, and without me needing to whip out the steaming basket and the pot of boiling water. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom