Pre-slicing question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I am as much into presentation as taste. Does anyone else pre slice certain foods before serving them, i.e. stuffed chicken breast. I love to fan the pieces on a plate and decorate it with sauces or garnishes.

I pre slice and put the food on a platter or tray, but I never

put the food on a dinner plate. To tell you the truth it never occured to me to do this at home.

love the slicing

I just did a macintosh and sweet onion stuffed pork tenderloin tonight for a party, and i think it makes ALL the difference to slice before plating. Noone wants to see one big hunk of meat on their plate, and it really showcases the stuffing. I also love to slice beef tenderloin, as opposed to serving individual filets, because they love to see the temperature of the meat. Plus it really does look to them like they are getting more.. (two or three pieces as opposed to one.) That's my story and i'm stickin to it.
:chef:

It depends what I am serving - a tenderloin or roast or chicken, yes, I usually preslice. I love presentation too, but I think I am the only one in my house that appreciates it.

I do that all the time if I have company for dinner. For that matter, I won't make stuffed chicken breasts if I don't have company:rolleyes:!

When I serve dinner, I always plate in the kitchen and yes, I pay lots of attention to the presentation.

ditto with most of you...it does depend on the dish, but presentation is important...we do eat with our eyes too!

Normally, I don't do to much with plate presentation at home. However, there are a few exceptions, and one of them has already been mentioned. I did a stuffed chicken breast last week, and yes, I sliced and fanned each piece. I will also slice and fan turkey breast, on the rare ocassions that I cook Turkey.

I only plate food when it is just the two of us and it is special. To do it for company makes me feel more servant than hostess. Ditto a lot of courses. I may put out a salad if my meal requires a lot of last minute work, while I'm finishing. But other than that, it is family style, or I'm in the kitchen and my guests are at the table.

I recon if definately depends on the dish ...
I agree the presentation looks so much better when you present your plates with style and with a touch of artistic influence, guests will always be impressed and it gives the cook a confidence boost.

Some dishes I do like to slice on the table, so that the full experience can be enjoyed by the guests as well..

Depends on the dish. Usually I serve on plates and I try as far as possible to make it look half-way decent! But, if it's something that I think looks impressive whole - a joint of meat or a whole baked fish - then I take it to the table and serve there and let people help themselves to vegetables, salad or whatever.

Edited to add that I rarely pour gravy onto a dinner but let people add that for themselves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom