Preheated pan, or cold pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quicker Thinker Upper

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone, do you generally heat your frying pan up before putting in EVOO (and then, say garlic and shallots), or do you put the EVOO in a cold pan and then turn on the heat (or do you put the EVOO AND garlic/shallots in the cold pan to heat up)?

Not thinking of a particular recipe, per se....maybe a stirfry...or even a tomato sauce or a bean dish...Just trying to get the basics down :)

Hot pan + cold oil = foods don't stick.

Heat up your pan, add your oil then let it heat up, then add your foods.

Most of the time I preheat the pan. In the scenario of infusing garlic into oil, I start with a cold pan and oil, then barely warm the oil and garlic.

I was always taught the way Kitchelf said. Hot pan, cold oil, let the oil heat and then you are ready. America's Test kitchen though says the opposite. They say to put cold oil in a cold pan and let them heat together. Their reasoning is that you can watch the oil and see when it goes from being thick and sort of sticky (when it is cold) to shimmering and very watery (when it is hot) so you will know exactly when the oil is hot enough.

The food will not know the difference. The key is that the oil needs to be hot before the food goes in.

It depends on the pan. I never EVER heat a nonstick pan without oil already in it. Even tho it's mainly because I have a pet Cockatoo & nonstick pans give off bird-fatal toxic substances when heated empty, I also figure that those same toxic fumes probably aren't going to do me any good either.

However, when it comes to my cast-iron pans & my wok, I definitely heat them first & then add the oil.

Do it either way as long as both the pan and the oil are hot before adding food.

Exactly. If you're pan searing or sauteeing something, as long as the oil is smoking before you add the food to the pan, it won't stick. The smoke from the oil is your visual key as to when the oil is at a proper temperature. Also, don't make the two mistakes that most homecooks make. The first is to not add enough oil. You want a thin coating of oil in the pan without having to really move the pan all around a lot to stretch and distribute the oil. You need enough fat to prevent sticking. The second is to freak out and start moving around the food as soon as you add it to the pan and it sticks. Once the surface of the food browns properly, it will release from the pan on its own.

Last edited:
Exactly. If you're pan searing or sauteeing something, as long as the oil is smoking before you add the food to the pan, it won't stick. The smoke from the oil is your visual key as to when the oil is at a proper temperature. Also, don't make the two mistakes that most homecooks make. The first is to not add enough oil. You want a thin coating of oil in the pan without having to really move the pan all around a lot to stretch and distribute the oil. You need enough fat to prevent sticking. The second is to freak out and start moving around the food as soon as you add it to the pan and it sticks. Once the surface of the food browns properly, it will release from the pan on its own.
Thanks IC. Your explanation is very clear. Yep, I had been using way too little oil because of all the stuff I've read about reducing fats and oils in your diet. I never could figure out how much was too much. And the release thing was something I didn't know til recently, but it's true. Now I'm using a timer and I don't screw around with the food til it's released on it's own. Makes a huge difference.

Thanks IC. Your explanation is very clear. Yep, I had been using way too little oil because of all the stuff I've read about reducing fats and oils in your diet. I never could figure out how much was too much. And the release thing was something I didn't know til recently, but it's true. Now I'm using a timer and I don't screw around with the food til it's released on it's own. Makes a huge difference.

So, did the pan’s grab and release on your steaks during the sear turn out? Could you tell the difference and what was happening between the meat and the pan? Neat isn’t it?? :)

So, did the pan’s grab and release on your steaks during the sear turn out? Could you tell the difference and what was happening between the meat and the pan? Neat isn’t it?? :)
It did! It was excellent! And because I let the steaks reach room temp and dried them with paper towels before, the sear was gorgeous. What a kick getting everything right!

Yep, I had been using way too little oil because of all the stuff I've read about reducing fats and oils in your diet.

If you cook stuff correctly, most of the oil you add to the pan won't even get into your body. The oil is being used for heat transfer and to facilitate the cooking process. One can cut down on the fats and oils in their diet by just reducing the amount of proccessed and convenience type foods. When you think about it, the 1-2 Tbsp. of more oil that you're adding to the pan to properly sear something is almost negligible when considering how much of that oil actually makes it into your body.

I think Clark Gable (aka Uncle Bob) has it right. I'm making Srimp Ajillo tonight and always add my half cup of olive oil, minced garlic, salt, hot peppers, etc. to a deep cast iron pan before turning on the heat. Then I slowly warm the mixture for 1/2 hour+ before turning up the heat and adding the shrimp. IMHO, smoking olive oil is likely to be bitter. Peanut oil in a wok is different story.

Last edited:
I think Clark Gable (aka Uncle Bob) has it right. I'm making Srimp Ajillo tonight and always add my half cup of olive oil, minced garlic, salt, hot peppers, etc. to a deep cast iron pan before turning on the heat. Then I slowly warm the mixture for 1/2 hour+ before turning up the heat and adding the shrimp. IMHO, smoking olive oil is likely to be bitter. Peanut oil in a wok is different story.

Uncle Bob was talking about an entirely different method from pan searing and sauteeing. And olive oil will not get bitter when you smoke it, only if you burn it.

Rule of thumb or not, if you have pet birds in the house do not ever EVER preheat a nonstick pan without anything in it. Period.

This isn't just a rumor or old wive's tale - it's something supported by avian veterinarians everywhere.

Rule of thumb or not, if you have pet birds in the house do not ever EVER preheat a nonstick pan without anything in it. Period.

This isn't just a rumor or old wive's tale - it's something supported by avian veterinarians everywhere.

I realize you didn't actually quote me with your repeat response...but the fact that you mentioned 'rule of thumb' as I did in my post, gives the impression you are responding to my post. Since the original post didn't mention the type of pan he was using, I didn't believe it was necessary for me to add any sort of disclaimer regarding birds in my post. Your original response to this thread seemed to sum that up for bird owners. It's my opinion that your repeat response was superfluous and redundant.

This post may not make sense since I have deleted a post but hopefully bird owners will know how to properly care for their birds. As always, snarky comments will be removed as per our Community Policies when they are just that.

Last edited:
ironchef;477290[FONT=Comic Sans MS said:
Also, don't make the two mistakes that most homecooks make. The first is to not add enough oil. You want a thin coating of oil in the pan without having to really move the pan all around a lot to stretch and distribute the oil. You need enough fat to prevent sticking. The second is to freak out and start moving around the food as soon as you add it to the pan and it sticks. Once the surface of the food browns properly, it will release from the pan on its own. [/FONT]

I agree 100%, but also, don't add too much oil......you are not pan frying, you are searing or sauteeing. Too much oil also defeats the purpose. 2 Tbls. is enough for any dish on the Saute station

Back
Top Bottom