Pressure Cooker country style ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I guess this is a "technique" :huh: If we had a pressure cooker forum I'd post it there...... ;)

Dinner got off to its usual late start last night and come 9:00 my two large country style pork ribs were still only 90% thawed. I had wanted to try grilling them start to finish, but at 9:00 I did not want to take the time to properly slow cook them on the grill, which I figured would take at least a couple hours.

So, having watched Emeril earlier that night and seeing the large amount of rub he uses (I usually don't season that heavy) I got out the pepper, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper and onion powder, and layed into the ribs. They were well coated to say the least. While this was going on I fired up the grill with all four burners on high. That got me close to 600F in about 5 minutes. On went the ribs for a good sear, no more than ten minutes total, probably closer to five. The flames were "liking" these ribs a lot.
Then I put the metal rack in the pressure cooker, added some chicken broth and set the two ribs on the rack, completely out of the cooking liquid. Thirty minutes later and I had ribs on my plate that tasted like they had been grilled for a couple hours :) They were fork tender, practically falling apart, and had that good grilled taste to them.
And you're darn right I saved that cooking liquid. :D

Very glad, Katie.
Aside from the usual "roast type" dinners that eventually get turned into soups, I haven't really done much with it. And it would have been too easy to set the ribs right into the liquid along with the usual potatoes, carrots..... then I have what I always make, and I was hungry for grilled ribs. This finished them off nicely and kept their texture in the time it took me to cook some homefries and broccoli to go with them. I love it!

Lorraine, the electric PCs with their timers are awesome. I don't think I ever would have gotten one if I had to use it on the stovetop, even though I'm sure they are all quite safe now. You should look into one.

Never used an electric pressure cooker, pacanis. My first one nearly 45 years ago was a Mirro one, then in the late 60s got a wonderful Revere Ware one. If I had a penny for every meal cooked in it, I'd be rich. Unfortunately the Revere one needed a new gasket, but they aren't available any longer. Revere discontinued their pressure cooker line a while ago. Boo! Loved my Revere pan.

Now I have a Kuhn Rikon and love, love, love it. Came as a multi-piece set. One 5-quart pan with pressure lid, a second smaller skillet-like pan to pressure cook smaller portions, and a glass lid so either can be used as a large heavy-duty saucepan or skillet.

What? No pic???

They sound really good, I may have an excuse for a new doo-hickey! :) Thanks!

What? No pic???

They sound really good, I may have an excuse for a new doo-hickey! :) Thanks!

Sorry, Suzi. Late finding this thread....
Camera was out at work, but they were picture worthy :rolleyes:
Smart aaaaaaaa ;)

Yeah, you gotta get you one of those.
I should really play around with my PC more and find new uses, but I'm glad it's available when needed.

Pacanis, I am so glad to see your post about the ribs. I am going to try this way of cooking them. We both posted recently about wanting to get the pressure cookers. I bought the nesco 3-in-1 digital cooker and I love it. I also cooked some ribs but did it completely different to the way you did. I think yours would have more flavor. I baked a chocolate cheesecake in mine over the weekend that was good, even though I messed up a little on the recipe.:rolleyes: Faye

Schoolgirl, for as long as it takes a good browning, tossing on the grill makes much more sense. And... doesn't dirty another pot :)
I think you'll like the ribs cooked out of the juice. They still get tender.

Back
Top Bottom