Previously Frozen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
I have two huge slabs of pork ribs I took out to defrost. Initially I was going to ask if it's okay to defrost them on the kitchen counter (as my fridge is so full), then I noticed the butcher paper said 'previously frozen.' What does previously frozen mean, and will it be okay to defrost on the counter? I always defrost in the fridge. Thanks in advance.

P.S. My grocery order was delivered, so I didn't notice the PF on the label - just threw it in the freezer.

Hello Amy:)

As far as I know, if something is frozen, it cannot be safely refrozen.
So whether it is safe at all to defrost and then cook and eat would depend on whether it was still frozen when u put it in your freezer. If it wasnt, it may not be OK to eat it.

As for defrosting on the counter, I dont know if this is OK or not.

Mel

Previously Frozen means just that, it was frozen once before (probably shortly after being butchered) and was then thawed for sale and presentation. According to the USDA, you can refreeze previously frozen meats if they have been handled properly.

As for thawing, it is not safe to thaw on your kitchen counter. It is recommended that you thaw in the fridge or in cold water, and change the water every 30 minutes.

I have thawed small cuts of meat many times before on the counter with no adverse affects. I also allow refrigerated steaks and other cuts of meat to come to room temp by setting them out on the counter for 30 minutes before cooking. I’ve never had a problem.......but it is not recommended by the USDA. And as they say, you can drive 100 years without seatbelt and never have an accident, but that doesn’t make it safe.

So, I’d suggest to be completely safe, thaw it in water if you want to speed up the process. Otherwise, thaw in the fridge.

Isn't it a wonder that we aren't all dead?

I thaw in water these days. What would take hours takes
much much less time. Since all my frozens get sealed in my
Food sealer or ziploc bags, it is quite convenient too.

I normally thaw on the counter, as long as I am going to be there to determine when it is thawed. If I am going to be away, or if it's something like a 27 pound turkey that is going to take several days, then I thaw in the refrigerator.

But then, as many here have pointed out, I AM dangerous! I'm also still very much alive, extremely healthy as a matter of fact, and the 2 times I have had food poisoning, it was after eating in a restaurant. Oh, and as far as seat belts go, my first 7 or 8 cars didn't even come with seat belts. Not wearing a seat belt only became unhealthy recently.

Miss Amy...

If you have what I think you described, 2 slabs of spare ribs frozen solid together in cryovac then take them out of the packaging and lay them on your counter for 30 minutes or an hour to start the thawing process. This will not hurt anything. When they show the first signs of thawing, then go to the refrigerator. Take them out of the refrigerator 30 minutes to one hour before cooking. If you can pry them apart before going to the fridge, that would be good. If you have two seperate slabs then use the same method.

Have Fun & Enjoy!

I thaw smaller packages on the counter, but I keep my house very cool. If it's something I'm not going to use right away, I start it out on the counter, then let it finish in the fridge.
Whole chickens go in a bowl of water in the sink, as do shrimp and fish.
Larger things, like a whole turkey, go into a cooler and water to thaw. If the weather is chilly but not freezing, as it usually is around Thanksgiving, we set the cooler in the garage and don't worry about the water until we bring it in to finish it off.

As for your ribs, if they're the vacuum packed ones, I think they'll be fine as long as they stayed cold until you got them. It really depends on how much you trust your grocer. Does the store have a butcher? If it does, I'd call and ask him. He should be an expert on the subject.

Miss Amy...

If you have what I think you described, 2 slabs of spare ribs frozen solid together in cryovac then take them out of the packaging and lay them on your counter for 30 minutes or an hour to start the thawing process. This will not hurt anything. When they show the first signs of thawing, then go to the refrigerator. Take them out of the refrigerator 30 minutes to one hour before cooking. If you can pry them apart before going to the fridge, that would be good. If you have two seperate slabs then use the same method.

Have Fun & Enjoy!
If they are cryovaced then why go through all that effort and time? Stick them in cold water for 30 minutes and they will be thawed.

Thank you, thank you guys for all the great advice. Well, they are defrosted & ready to go. They came wrapped in paper, but noticed a small piece of plastic wrap. The groceries come from a large chain, and the trucks (as I understand it) are refrigerated. It has been about 100 plus outside, but I've had the central a/c going (on auto), & the food was cold when it was delivered. Hope they turn out okay. Should be done at 3 AM. :rolleyes:

Please don't defrost anything on the counter. Take some condiments out of the fridge if you have to...but don't defrost on the counter. The alternative method is to wrap the ribs in plastic and then run cool water over them till they defrost.

Previously frozen means they were frozen at the store, or when they were received from the slaughterhouse. It's hazardous to defrost frozen meat and then refreeze it. If it was never defrosted, it's not unsafe now. But, again, do not defrost it on the counter.

The reason re-freezing is fround upon is that it takes time for meat to thaw. As it warms, the micro-organizms in the meat begin to multiply. When the meat is again frozen, those same micro critters go into hibernation. When you thaw the meat again, they multiply even more.

That being said, if the meat has been thawed in a moisture and temperature controlled environment, the bacterial multiplication will be elliminated, or at least retarded. And the bad micro-organizms won't have a chance to grow at all below 40 degrees F. This meat can be re-frozen and then thawed again.

The reason the USDA recomends thawing in the fridge, or in water is that when you thaw the meat in the fridge, the proper, maximum-safe temperature is is never exceeded, again inhibiting the growth of little nasties. When you thaw in water, teh water is a much better conductor of heat than is air, and so thaws the meat much more quickly, again, keeping the multiplying critters down. You can also thaw in a microwave, but have to be very careful as it is easy to start cooking the meat, or overheating part of it while other parts remain frozen.

So, with proper planning, it is best to thaw in the fridge, followed by thawing in water. Again, small portions can be thawed on the counter-top without adverse effects as the meat thaws quickly enough to limit the multiplication of little nasties.

As with all things, use your best judgement.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh, and as far as seat belts go, my first 7 or 8 cars didn't even come with seat belts. Not wearing a seat belt only became unhealthy recently.

Ever notice that people riding motorcycles aren't required to wear seatbelts? ;)

Sure, it doesn't make sense to wear a seatbelt on a bike......but it is your CHOICE to ride a bike....why is it a LAW to wear a belt in a car? And of course, there are the old school buses without seatbelts......

Vera is right about this. I don't recommend that anyone defrost on the counter.

I've just done it so long (and been lucky, I guess), that it's a habit for me. I have always been careful about it, though, making sure to put it in the fridge while it still has a few ice crystals in it.

As for re-freezing the meat...I've always been told that was a no-no. But since I found out that a lot of the meats, that I have bought for years, were pre-frozen, and I went ahead and tossed them in the freezer with no ill effects, I haven't been quite so adamant about it.

As for re-freezing the meat...I've always been told that was a no-no. But since I found out that a lot of the meats, that I have bought for years, were pre-frozen, and I went ahead and tossed them in the freezer with no ill effects, I haven't been quite so adamant about it.

I agree. My understanding is that most meat is previously frozen when it reaches the store. IF this is true, then we shouldn't freeze anything! I don't see any problem with refreezing unless you know that the meat may have gotten too warm at some point. I'm sure there are regulations at the store for the temps they have to keep the meat at. I keep a cooler in my truck so that I can transport it home and keep it cold, so I'm not too worried about it.

My ribs were defrosted in post #9. I never have defrosted on the counter, but was more concerned when I later noticed the butcher paper marked prefozen. As I mentioned later, I noticed a piece of saran-like plastic. So... I don't know if the meat was defrosted & rewrapped by the warehouse/store. I never planned on refreezing the ribs. I do use common sense. In any event, they turned out fine and are long gone by now. :LOL:

Refreezing meat is fine. From the USDA’s web site concerning Freezing and Food Safety:

Refreezing
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through defrosting. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.

So, according to the USDA, you can take a frozen meat, thaw it in the fridge, then refreeze it (without cooking it) with no problem except a possible loss in quality. You can also re-freeze previously frozen meat from the store if it has been handled properly (obviously, thawed in a refrigerated unit).

Refreezing meat is fine. From the USDA’s web site concerning Freezing and Food Safety:

Refreezing
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through defrosting. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.

So, according to the USDA, you can take a frozen meat, thaw it in the fridge, then refreeze it (without cooking it) with no problem except a possible loss in quality. You can also re-freeze previously frozen meat from the store if it has been handled properly (obviously, thawed in a refrigerated unit).

The problem I see with posting something like this is that more often than not, people will only read the bold print. Or...they figure if refrigerator thawing is okay for refreezing, counter thawing (which horrifies me) will only be a little bad. Or, the time something sits, defrosted in the fridge, won't be considered. I would never trust something that was thawed in the fridge, sat around for a couple of days in the fridge, and then refrozen. Microorganisms are not destroyed at 40 degrees.

The problem I see with posting something like this is that more often than not, people will only read the bold print. Or...they figure if refrigerator thawing is okay for refreezing, counter thawing (which horrifies me) will only be a little bad. Or, the time something sits, defrosted in the fridge, won't be considered. I would never trust something that was thawed in the fridge, sat around for a couple of days in the fridge, and then refrozen. Microorganisms are not destroyed at 40 degrees.

Okay, this is going in several directions. I didn't refreeze - nor let the food sit defrosting in the fridge for several days. I do trust food defrosting in the fridge, but not for long periods of time, but that was not the question. Good advice for people that don't already know that.

Keltin, appreciate the info, as I've never bought anything marked prefrozen & don't know what the guidelines/laws are re reselling prefozen meat/food. Had I noticed that paper stamp on butcher paper, I may have sent it back. Anywho, it's a done deal - the ship has sailed. The ribs defrosted on the counter for a few hours in a climate controlled cool environment - a/c automatic. Vera, your idea of removing the condiments in the fridge and letting it thaw there is a good idea (as my fridge was full). Wish I'd thought of it at the time. :chef:

ETA: The previous generation defrosted meat/food on the counter & we/I survived :LOL: - but it is not a practice that I follow. BTW, has anyone watched Mad Men? Makes you stop & think about all the rules/regulations/laws that came into place over time.

Last edited:
Amy, I wasn't really replying to your practice/method that you mentioned. I was responding to Keltin, as you could see by my quote.

As for what people did in previous generations.....food was handled much less 'back then'. For the most part, it went from the slaughter house to the butcher to your table. There are many more steps involved in feeding society now, and with those additional steps are more introductions of pathogens. Also, people did get sick, ever wonder what all those potions and elixers were for? People complained of stomach maladys all the time.

VeraBlue said:
Also, people did get sick, ever wonder what all those potions and elixers were for? People complained of stomach maladys all the time.

Yep Uncle Bob's Magic potion and elixer cured many maladys! Not the least of which was an upset stomach. At 140 proof there was not much it wouln't cure! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom