Prime Rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Generous amount of S&P. Wire rack in roasting pan. Pre-heat oven to 500F. Place on middle oven rack and cook at 500F for 5 minutes. Lower oven temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect medium-rare.
PR is one of the easiest things to make - and the easiest to screw up. You must have a thermometer.
I use a [brand name], which has an alarm that goes off 10 degrees below setpoint. By the time I get to the grill and bring something inside to the table, it's done perfectly every time!

These posts have IMO everything you need to know, and describe the way I cook my own PR too. Notwithstanding replies to the contrary I believe you must have a thermometer to get reliable results time after time. And as the last post says, take your PR out before you've achieved your target temperature, not only because the internal temperature will continue to rise even after taking off heat, but because the meat must rest and reabsorb juices over a period of time.

I recommend some sort of rub or coating too, and there's plenty of good advice given in this topic above. Or you might want to lard your PR with garlic, or both.

1/2 Montreal chicken
1/2 Montreal steak

Makes a great rub for prime rib. I also put some beef broth in the bottom of the pan to keep things from burning before the fat renders.

I roast mine at 350 and poke it with my finger to see if it done. We are not real picky about doneness. We all like it anywhere from Med rare to Med well, but I like the end cut best. Horseradish is a must though.

Back
Top Bottom