"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 12-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Prime Rib

DH wants me to attempt to cook Prime Rib, someone at work gave him a recipe so I guess I'll be attempting to make it. Wanted to know if anyone on here had an tips for me? They'd be greatly appreciated since I'm a newbie at this.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Basic Prime Rib. Digital meat thermometer with probe is a necessity for monitoring internal temp.

Ingredients:

prime rib bone-in roast well marbled
kosher salt
whole peppercorns, crushed
Worcestershire sauce

Prep:

Allow meat to come to room temperature before seasoning or cooking

Cooking:

Preheat oven to 325
Place roast in uncovered roasting pan fat side up
GENEROUSLY coat all surfaces of roast with:
Worcestershire sauce
crushed peppercorns
kosher salt
Add about 1/4 cup of water in bottom of roasting pan

Roast until center reaches 140 degrees (medium rare) or longer if you prefer more doneness. Actual cooking time will vary depending on size of roast. 12 pound standing rib roast takes 3-4 hours. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Generous amount of S&P. Wire rack in roasting pan. Pre-heat oven to 500F. Place on middle oven rack and cook at 500F for 5 minutes. Lower oven temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Perfect medium-rare.

Craig
Old 12-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Cook

PR is one of the easiest things to make - and the easiest to screw up. You must have a thermometer. You can get one from BB&B for about $20. I have been using Kenji Alts recipe for several years now, and it is always perfect. I get a prime cut of rib from Wegmans (last year was $107 for the roast) so I want to make sure it is perfect. Here is Kenji's recipe. (He went to MIT, so it's a little "sciencey."

The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats
Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Master Chef

My mother taught me to make it the same way Paula Deen does it in her Foolproof Standing Rib Roast Recipe. My mother called it Sunday Prime Rib because she could turn the oven off while she went to church and not worry about burning the house down.

Allow 5-6 pound roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Rub roast with salt pepper and garlic salt; place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours. About 1 hour before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
DH wants me to attempt to cook Prime Rib, someone at work gave him a recipe so I guess I'll be attempting to make it. Wanted to know if anyone on here had an tips for me? They'd be greatly appreciated since I'm a newbie at this.

I think the hardest part will be to decide which easy method to use!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's another tried and true method that works great.

On the plus side, you don't need a thermometer. On the down side, you can't use the oven for anything else.

Standing Rib Roast

1 Ea Standing Rib Roast (Bone-in)
TT Salt and Black Pepper
1/4 C Flour

Preheat the oven to 500 F.

Just before putting the roast into the oven, rub it with salt, pepper, and flour.

The timing of the cooking is based upon the number of ribs and the degree of doneness you want. Multiply the number of ribs by 12 minutes for rare, 13 minutes for medium rare, and 14 for medium. For example, if you have a 4 rib roast and want it to be medium rare, you would calculate 4x13=52 minutes.

Place the roast into the 500 F oven and cook it for the prescribed time.

DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR ONCE YOU PUT IN THE ROAST.

After the calculated cooking time, shut off the oven and don't open the OVEN door.

Leave the roast in the oven for at least and hour and a half (and up to three hours. There will be no change in the degree of doneness). Do not open the oven door during this time.

After the 90-180 minutes, remove the roast and cover it with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Assuming there is just the two of you, you don't need all 7 ribs, a 3 rib roast should be plenty, so save yourself some money by going to a butcher and asking for ribs 3, 4, and 5.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not sure what kind of tips you need if you are already following a recipe.
What is the recipe? I would hate to tell you one thing and have it conflict with something in the recipe you are using.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
PR is one of the easiest things to make - and the easiest to screw up. You must have a thermometer. You can get one from BB&B for about $20. I have been using Kenji Alts recipe for several years now, and it is always perfect. I get a prime cut of rib from Wegmans (last year was $107 for the roast) so I want to make sure it is perfect. Here is Kenji's recipe. (He went to MIT, so it's a little "sciencey."

The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats
I love scientific explanations and resolutions to a problem! Thanks!

I haven't had PR in so long. I might have to pick one up now to prove this method to myself.