"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Proper Fat for Pancakes

Weird question but I really like crispy pancakes. I suppose the texture I prefer most is actually Cracker Barrel.

What fat is best suited to obtain this texture? Butter? Oil? Crisco? Smart Balance/Country Crock type spread?

Thanks for your input.

Geoff

__________________

__________________
GPOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
I'm not sure what fat is best to use, but I like to use bacon grease. Crispy texture on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. What kind of pancake mix are you using by chance? Or perhaps you are making your own?

Welcome to DC!
__________________

__________________
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I'm not sure what fat is best to use, but I like to use bacon grease. Crispy texture on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. What kind of pancake mix are you using by chance? Or perhaps you are making your own?

Welcome to DC!
Thanks for the kind welcome. I've actually been lurking around for a while just reading up.

I've used several mixes but Alton Brown has an "instant mix" that I think I'm going to try next.

Can you recommend a good one?

Geoff
__________________
GPOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 706
Welcome to DC. I could not imagine making pancakes without butter. The sometime come out crisp, but I'm thinking I have they heat on perfectly on those days.
__________________
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Lefty7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7887 View Post
Welcome to DC. I could not imagine making pancakes without butter. The sometime come out crisp, but I'm thinking I have they heat on perfectly on those days.
Can't beat butter :). Most recipes call for wiping the excess fat out of the pan. I'm thinking of cooking with more fat to almost fry them. What do you think.
__________________
GPOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
I think any oil that you use would do that if you use more oil instead of just having bottom of the pan sprayd or lightly wiped with oil. I hope I'm making my self clear.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPOE View Post
Thanks for the kind welcome. I've actually been lurking around for a while just reading up.

I've used several mixes but Alton Brown has an "instant mix" that I think I'm going to try next.

Can you recommend a good one?

Geoff

I have tried the Alton Brown mix as well. I was not that impressed with it. But that is me and that was my first attempt at making his recipe. Most of the mix went to waste as the shelf life that Alton states is 3 months. I guess I don't eat enough pancakes!
__________________
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPOE View Post
Can't beat butter :). Most recipes call for wiping the excess fat out of the pan. I'm thinking of cooking with more fat to almost fry them. What do you think.
It could work with crisco I guess.
__________________
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Lefty7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
it sounds like i need to do an experiment. I'll try using the same batter with these different fats and I'll report back which one I like the best. Thanks!
__________________
GPOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Jeff G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,352
For good frying.. Crisco ... Is Swift'ning still on the market shelves? Man that stuff was great!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.