"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Proper Fat for Pancakes

Weird question but I really like crispy pancakes. I suppose the texture I prefer most is actually Cracker Barrel.

What fat is best suited to obtain this texture? Butter? Oil? Crisco? Smart Balance/Country Crock type spread?

Thanks for your input.

Geoff

Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'm not sure what fat is best to use, but I like to use bacon grease. Crispy texture on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. What kind of pancake mix are you using by chance? Or perhaps you are making your own?

Welcome to DC!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I'm not sure what fat is best to use, but I like to use bacon grease. Crispy texture on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. What kind of pancake mix are you using by chance? Or perhaps you are making your own?

Welcome to DC!
Thanks for the kind welcome. I've actually been lurking around for a while just reading up.

I've used several mixes but Alton Brown has an "instant mix" that I think I'm going to try next.

Can you recommend a good one?

Geoff
Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Welcome to DC. I could not imagine making pancakes without butter. The sometime come out crisp, but I'm thinking I have they heat on perfectly on those days.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7887 View Post
Welcome to DC. I could not imagine making pancakes without butter. The sometime come out crisp, but I'm thinking I have they heat on perfectly on those days.
Can't beat butter :). Most recipes call for wiping the excess fat out of the pan. I'm thinking of cooking with more fat to almost fry them. What do you think.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Master Chef

I think any oil that you use would do that if you use more oil instead of just having bottom of the pan sprayd or lightly wiped with oil. I hope I'm making my self clear.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPOE View Post
Thanks for the kind welcome. I've actually been lurking around for a while just reading up.

I've used several mixes but Alton Brown has an "instant mix" that I think I'm going to try next.

Can you recommend a good one?

Geoff

I have tried the Alton Brown mix as well. I was not that impressed with it. But that is me and that was my first attempt at making his recipe. Most of the mix went to waste as the shelf life that Alton states is 3 months. I guess I don't eat enough pancakes!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPOE View Post
Can't beat butter :). Most recipes call for wiping the excess fat out of the pan. I'm thinking of cooking with more fat to almost fry them. What do you think.
It could work with crisco I guess.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

it sounds like i need to do an experiment. I'll try using the same batter with these different fats and I'll report back which one I like the best. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
Head Chef

For good frying.. Crisco ... Is Swift'ning still on the market shelves? Man that stuff was great!!!!!