Proper Stir Fry? Help me out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
I read somewhere that peanut oil was essential for a good stir fry. I got some.

What is the proper way to stir fry veggies? What heat, methods, etc, what type of skillet.... blah blah blah... can i throw in the meat in the stir fry as well with the veggies or no? I typically like to cook my veggies for quite a while and curious if meat weill be overcooked?

A traditional stir-fry is done using peanut oil in a wok over very high heat.

You can use oils other than peanut and pans other than a wok but you must have very high heat.

Use a skillet. Get it super hot and add the oil. Get the oil hot so it starts to smoke and add the meat. Fry it, keeping it in motion to prevent burning. Transfer the meat to a plate.

Stir-fry the veggies. Start with veggies that take longer to cook and move on to those that take less time.

If you put too much food into the pan at one time, the pan will cool down too much and you won't get the benefits of a real stir-fry. To avoid this problem, cook the food in smaller batches, transfer the cooked food to a plate and cook some more food until you're done.

When everything has been stir-fried, make your sauce and add all the food back in to heat it and coat it with the sauce.

Also, for stir-frys, you usually cook the veggies to a less well done stage so there's still a little crunch or resistance to them. If you like yours well done and softer, there's no problem with that.

thanks for all the info man, which veggies take longest? I will be using snow pea pods, mushrooms, onions, red peppers, zuchinni.....so i dont put soy sauce in the veggies while im frying them initially?

Also, i think i've been screwing this up bad, lol. Ive been cooking over medium heat in olive oil like 10 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Is the true stir fry technique alot more delicious? Also how much oil should i use for a personal serving of veggies / meat.

Cooking at a higher heat will keep your veggies crisp while still being done. The key to stir fry is just that - the "stir". At a high temperature, stirring almost constantly, things will cook while remaining crisp.

Red peppers and onions will take the longest, followed by mushrooms and zucchini and then pea pods. If someone disagrees with this PLEASE feel free to correct me.

For a single serving, in a wok, I'd use a couple TBS maybe? Maybe not even that much. Start with 1 TBS and add more if necessary.

Remove veggies and cook meat/poultry - let the wok heat back up to smoking, add oil, add meat, and toss several minutes until done. Add the veggies back in, give a couple stirs, and remove.

Mylegsbig said:
Also, i think i've been screwing this up bad, lol. Ive been cooking over medium heat in olive oil like 10 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Is the true stir fry technique alot more delicious? Also how much oil should i use for a personal serving of veggies / meat.

That's called sauteeing! :chef:

I usually stir fry the meat/poultry first. Then take out, stir fry veggies, then add meat and sauce.

I often marinate the meat first. Dry off. Then stir fry.

Buy some hoisin/and or oyster sauce and experiment making your own sauces using those as a base, plus soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, scallions, ornage zest etc. A little sherry or mirin is nice, too.

You do not HAVE to use peanut oil, but you should not use olive oil or other olis with low smoke points. They don't get hot enough for stir fry without burning. Plus olive oil tastes like olive oil, not asian food. I use peanut oil or a peanut/canola oil blend. Lion brand. Plain canola oil is fine, too.

You don't have to use a wok. A big nonstick skillet works fine.

HIGH HEAT and STIR constantly while FRYING -- those are the keys.

Last edited:
is hoisin sauce very unhealthy?

How about oyster sauce?

How long can i keep scallions in my fridge before they are bad?

Mylegsbig said:
is hoisin sauce very unhealthy?

How about oyster sauce?

How long can i keep scallions in my fridge before they are bad?

Unhealthy how?

You only use a small amount.

Hoisin is made from fermented soybeans, like soy sauce. "Ingredients: Sugar, water, miso (soybeans, rice, salt), plum puree, naturally brewed soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans, salt), garlic, caramel color, modified food starch, fermented wheat protein, vinegar, salt, spices, xanthan gum, citric acid."

Oyster sauce from fermented oysters. If you've eaten in a chinese restaurant you've no doubt had both.

You might also try chili sauce or fish sauce.

Scallions keep for maybe 4 days to a week, depending on how fresh they are when you buy them.

Keep scallions until they either dry out or get slimey. They can last a week.

Re: the sauces - what do you mean by unhealthy?

This is a great thread, and the responses seem to be right on the mark. Get the wok/skillet hot to where the peanut oil (that's what I use at least) is smoking (only use a teaspoon or two). Do the meat first and either remove or push them up the side and do the vegetables next (I cut them thin so they cook really quick) putting the bamboo shoots in last. Don't use too much oil or cook at too low a heat otherwise you won't be truly stir frying.

Last edited:
High in sugars and sodiums is what i mean by unhealthy...... I use Low Sodium Kikkoman Soy Sauce as a table sauce and it's not too bad. thanks for the info, how should the scallions be sliced to throw in the stir fry? thin slices or chunks like the rest of the veggies ?

I like to slice mine about an inch or so, but it is really just personal preference. You can slice them thin or not depending on what you like.

are the scallions more of a seasoning to throw in with the veggies or should they be treated and tossed in a particular order?

Also, on my burner is there a particular heat setting i should leave it at or just wing it until the oil smokes? Im using Peanut Oil BTW.

Scallions take almost no time at all to cook so they should be thrown in as one of the last things.

As for the burner, I would put it on as high as you can.

The scallions can go at the end or with the other veggies - I really like a few tossed on once plated.

Use a medium high to high heat. Definately much closer to the high - if things start burning definately turn it down just a bit, but not too much.

Kitchen great link you sent me. Sounds pretty complicated, Question - is babycorn good in stir fry?

Here's an easy shortcut that I do: hold your already washed and dried bunch of green onions over a plate. Using kitchen shears, cut them into the size you want. It takes no time or effort :)

Water chestnuts are a nice "last minute" addition to your stir fry too.

This has become such a good thread! Thanks for starting it, mylegsbig!

Back
Top Bottom