Proper use of Bird's Nest Maker - deep fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayprice7

Assistant Cook
I just got a bird's nest maker and I've tried a few different ways to actually make a nest with some shredded potatoes - to no avail. The potatoes stick to the maker and i can't get the nest out without rippping the whole thing apart. Anybody have any clue as to the proper way to make the nest without it falling apart?:chef:

OK! I pulled my Jacques Pepin book it say to dip wires in the hot oil then add potatoes fry at 400 degress 4 to 5 minutes make sure nest stays totally submerged in oil.To unmold trim pieces of potato sticking from both the outside and inside of nest.Jiggle top wire basket and lift up from potatoes.Potatoes may be hard to remove.Turn upside down and using a towel press mesh to bend it to help potatoes release use small knife to pry out.
Let me know if this works as I have a nest but have never tried it but I do know you can make these ahead of time and just warm a little till ready to use.

thanks for the tip, I'll probably give it a try later 2nite... I'm not sure i could manage to eat another bundle of has browns right now, those first 3 attempts I couldn't let go to waste!

Back
Top Bottom