"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 04-18-2006, 04:18 AM   #11
Executive Chef
"Putting up" shrimp, or other seafood, is often used here in Charleston for freezing the shrimp. Either by just washing and packing in ziplocks or the milk carton method, and covering w/water, or by heading them first, then packing for freezing. Some folks also add about a tsp. of salt to the water.

I've made pickled shrimp, but I'm not sure you could put this up for long term storage with just a hot water bath - I think you'd need a pressure canner. Just did a quick google, and couldn't find anything specific. I'm just not sure if the vinegar used in the pickling process would be enough acid to go ahead with the hot-water canning method.

Paula's recipe mentioned above is wonderful, I can vouch for it; but I think she only says the pickled shrimp will store for a few days in the fridge, not as a 'long term' pantry item.

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
Master Chef
Having spent a fair amount of time in Cajun country, it could also refer to making any number of shrimp-based dishes to freeze or can -- sauces, soups, rice dishes are myriad and most freeze quite well and also can be canned.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
I do not live in Louisiana any more but, I know this term. My frame of reference is from south central Louisiana (where there were no shrimp) and from New Orleans (where shrimp is abundant).

To me, it means putting the shrimp into a sinkful of cold water and then removing it. This was "washing" the shrimp. I think some people put salt in the water to make the live shrimp purge. Cannot remember if that was just crawfish or shrimp as well. Oops, 1st you prepared the 1/2 gallon empty and cleaned milk cartons. Some people cut off the top triangle of the carton to make stackable rectangles. Back to the shrimp. Some people left the heads on and some removed the heads but the shell was always left on. You'd fill the empty milk carton 1/2 to 2/3 full of the shrimp and then pour in water to cover the shrimp. Freeze.

Basically, freeze cleaned shrimp in water. I remember it taking hours.

Probably what the novel is inferring is that the family lives near the Gulf of Mexico and that they are frugal, plan ahead, pay attention to "The Season", and have a large chest freezer in addition to the regular kitchen 'ice box'. It sort of depends on what decade the author is talking about. Things are very different today.

What is the title of your book?
jmjslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #14
Master Chef
I agree with Dove's husband. I lived in Cajun Country (Lafayette, Louisiana) for 8 years and putting up shrimp meant freezing it in water which upon defrosting made the shrimp taste very fresh. To do this method you put the unpeeled shrimp in a container, cover with water--leaving about a 2 inch space at the top for frozen water expansion) and seal with a airtight lid cover. I have also used heavy duty freezer ziploc bags for this and squeezing out the extra air It's really a great way to keep shrimp frozen for longer periods of time and still taste very fresh when defrosted.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
Head Chef
Originally Posted by expatgirl
I agree with Dove's husband.
What am I? Chopped liver?

It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote