"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 04-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

"Putting up" shrimp?

I was just reading a story set in Louisiana, in which one of the characters refers to "putting up the shrimp." Anyone have any idea what this refers to? Are they actually canning shrimp?

Thanks,
Audrey

Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Never heard of that. I'd be tempted to freeze them if I was in a situation where I had actual FRESH shrimp.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyKate
I was just reading a story set in Louisiana, in which one of the characters refers to "putting up the shrimp." Anyone have any idea what this refers to? Are they actually canning shrimp?

Thanks,
Audrey
Since it's a story set in Louisiana, I'm guessing people familiar with Southern cooking could give you a more accurate answer. Not having read the story, the author might be referring to almost anything.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
Head Chef

Hi AK,
I've never quite heard of that, but I do seem to recall a dish that Paula Deane did on the FN called pickled shrimp. It's been a while, but I think she did put them up in mason jars.
John.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
Master Chef

I was thinking the same thing as John.

Here is Paula Deen's recipe. I've made it and it was quite good.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Head Chef

When I was a kid we used to go down to the Texas City Dikes and buy a cooler full of shrimp and other bycatch from the shrimp boats. Typically this was 50 lbs. or so of shrimp, flounder, squid, et cetera. $50.

We brought them home and had a heading/peeling assembly line. We would reserve about 20 or so lbs of it for eating that day and would freeze the rest. My grandmother would put them in ziploc bags, fill with water and then put them in the freezer. We had shrimp for the rest of the season that way. We would do this at the beginning and end of each season.

We'd fry the reserved poundage by dredging them in an egg/milk mixture, then rolling them in crushed Ritz crackers then deep frying until golden. Mmmmmmmmmmmm... With that and some sweet tea, potato salad and Grandmommy's green bean casserole we were good to go.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
Master Chef

Great minds run in the same channel...the same thought came to my mind. They sure did look good!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #8
Master Chef

Could they have been talking about "Potted Shrimp"? While I know that current recipes for Potted Shrimp are meant for fairly immediate use as an appetizer, I do believe it was originally a way of preserving cooked shrimp for awhile under minimal refrigeration, much in the way of goose & duck confit.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
DC Grandma

My husbands family in North Carolina would say "I put up xx pints or quarts of green beans today. Meaning they canned that many jars. They use to can balls of fresh homemade sausage in jars..no freezers back then. They would go to the garden for a mess of green beans..(just enough for a meal.)

In Florida when we would catch Laaarge (really big shrimp) out of the St. John's River we would clean them and put them in halg gallon milk cartons, fill with water and freeze.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
Master Chef

I can only think of 3 meanings for "puttin' up" here in the South:

1. Preserving food by one method or another. Most people naturally think of canning something first. But, it could also refer to dehygration, salt packing/brining, pickeling, or cold smoking. I know my grandmother used to talk about her dad "puttin' up" hams and bacon in the fall during hog slaugher, and she and her sister would "put up" tin buckets of lard. It could also mean puttin' some things that would survive down in the root cellar for use during the winter (potatoes, onions, etc.).

2. To place something in it's proper place. I was forever being reminded by Mom to "put up" my shoes ... and other stuff. One of the jobs I had when Mom went grocery shopping was to "put up" the groceries.

3. Tolerance or forbearance - which usually was the evident meaning by the inclusion of the word "with". Like in, "puttin' up with Yankees".