"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #31
Certified Cake Maniac

Me thinks the best way to settle this is to turn it into a joke -
How many prep cooks does it take to run a TV show?

Now, back to mise en place. I found these great little metal bowls at a kitchen store the other day that come in a set of 8 and they are perfect for organizing your ingredients. I bought two sets (they were on for $2.50 per set). Couldn't believe the price! Now to get myself using them!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Me thinks the best way to settle this is to turn it into a joke -
How many prep cooks does it take to run a TV show?

Now, back to mise en place. I found these great little metal bowls at a kitchen store the other day that come in a set of 8 and they are perfect for organizing your ingredients. I bought two sets (they were on for $2.50 per set). Couldn't believe the price! Now to get myself using them!
I use paper bowls. I get them from Costco. I think there's about 2 million of them in a package for just a couple of bucks. I haven't run out in a year.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Old 11-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

dramaqueen, just to beat a dead horse, i'm still not sure how you "know" about tv chefs.

here's a good description of how emeril's show worked during it's heyday in '06: No Bam, No Garlic, But Emeril Entertains :: Cable360

there were "several" prep cooks, but the rest were assistants that served and cleaned up.

"For the most part, a taping of Emeril Live is very similar to watching the show at home, with 2 exceptions. The breaks are filled with activity, involving several Food staffers preparing for the next segment, others cutting up and distributing the food just prepared, another wiping down the kitchen counter, security personnel milling about and of course techs."

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #35
Head Chef

As your article pointed out, prep cooks are doing Emeril's job and that was the point I was making. Why are you beating this to death? I will answer your question then I'm through. A few years ago, when Emeril was in his heyday, there was a one hour special on TV showing the "behind the scenes" look at how his show is produced. It was not only informative but surprising in many ways. One of the magazines I subscribe to, not sure which one, also did a long article on what really goes on in the kitchens of the Food Network, and the point of the article was that the TV chefs really do very little of the work themselves.
As for Rachel Ray, I realize she does the work right there, but it never shows you who washes the veggies and cuts the "woody" ends off of the asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, etc. Ever notice she never does either one of those tasks? They also set up her cooking equipment, pantry, and refrigerator.

I can only tell you what I learned from both the TV show and the magazine article. Why is this so important to you? Why are you doubting what I said. Would I lie to you? PLEASE, LET'S MOVE ON. I have to get back to staring at Jeekinz "group hug" picture.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Rachel says she washes all her veggies when she gets home from the store so they are ready to use. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm sure she isn't setting up her TV kitchen herself. Her mise en place is seeing how much she can carry in one trip
Old 11-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

dramaqueen, you made a point that lytle (and i, i'm sure others) did not believe, about there being 15 behind the scene cooks. i agreed with lytle that there were not 15 prep cooks, but other staff. you then replied that you "knew" this, and i simply asked you how you knew, which you ignored.

i assumed that you had either worked in tv, as i do, or had seen this first hand. you never know how things are done behind the magic curtains of television.
it turns out pacanis was right. about the holiday inn...

no sweat, though. i was just curious. enough drama for one day. well, for me, anyway.

moving on...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
dramaqueen, you made a point that lytle (and i, i'm sure others) did not believe, about there being 15 behind the scene cooks. i agreed with lytle that there were not 15 prep cooks, but other staff. you then replied that you "knew" this, and i simply asked you how you knew, which you ignored.

moving on...
I already explained to you how I "knew." If you can't believe what you see and none of what you read, what's the point of getting any info on any subject?
You don't have to have first hand experience to learn about a particular subject. I'm not saying they were all actually cooking, but the article and show led me to believe that they all were doing the cooking which included washing, sorting, chopping, blending, mixing and actuall cooking of the several dishes prepared on any given show. That didn't seem to include those that set up the set itself. Maybe the cooks doubled as "gofers, " who knows? I can't get to wrapped up in that subject and I think the rest of the readers here are falling asleep.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Rachel says she washes all her veggies when she gets home from the store so they are ready to use. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm sure she isn't setting up her TV kitchen herself. Her mise en place is seeing how much she can carry in one trip
You're so funny. Maybe that's how she is able to do dinner in 30 minutes.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I already explained to you how I "knew." If you can't believe what you see and none of what you read, what's the point of getting any info on any subject?
You don't have to have first hand experience to learn about a particular subject. I'm not saying they were all actually cooking, but the article and show led me to believe that they all were doing the cooking which included washing, sorting, chopping, blending, mixing and actuall cooking of the several dishes prepared on any given show. That didn't seem to include those that set up the set itself. Maybe the cooks doubled as "gofers, " who knows? I can't get to wrapped up in that subject and I think the rest of the readers here are falling asleep.
Actually, DQ, I had the same question as BT did about the source of your information, until you explained in a later post about the special you saw and the magazine article you read. So, there is at least one other of us who is interested.

I went to see Emeril Live in NYC last year, and the audience could see who was behind the set. I saw maybe 4 people, tops. Perhaps there were others somewhere else.

Lee