"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Old 11-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #43
Chief Eating Officer

OK now that we have all gotten that out, lets get back to discussing mise en place. If anyone would like to continue a discussion on what goes on behind the scenes of a cooking show please feel free to open a new thread about that topic.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb View Post
ok now that we have all gotten that out, lets get back to discussing mise en place. If anyone would like to continue a discussion on what goes on behind the scenes of a cooking show please feel free to open a new thread about that topic.
amen!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #45
Master Chef

mise en place is something I often struggle with. I'm "only" a home cook, and having everything ready when I start the meal is something I can be lazy about. I'm great at it when it comes to a stir fry, it goes so quickly that if everything isn't ready, you lose. But most of the rest of the time you'll find fingerprints on everything in the kitchen while I look for bowls, spices, etc. I'm getting better, though. As my mom says, everything in its place (yes, that is what it means, more or less). If it is at hand, you'll be a better cook.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

amen. plus infinity.

and +1 to claire's post.

although, i'm much more like qsis, and find inspiration in my lack of preparation.

can i get an amen!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #47
Chief Eating Officer

Amen brother.

I do some mise en place. Things I know that need to get chopped I get ready ahead of time. Other things I might do on the fly. I just made a dish that called for a large onion, diced and a cup of ketchup. I diced the onion ahead of time and had it waiting in a bowl (with the other veggies that needed prep work and were all going in at the same time), but for the ketchup I just reached into the fridge when it was time to put it in and squirted what looked like a cups worth to me right into the pan.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Amen brother.

I do some mise en place. Things I know that need to get chopped I get ready ahead of time. Other things I might do on the fly. I just made a dish that called for a large onion, diced and a cup of ketchup. I diced the onion ahead of time and had it waiting in a bowl (with the other veggies that needed prep work and were all going in at the same time), but for the ketchup I just reached into the fridge when it was time to put it in and squirted what looked like a cups worth to me right into the pan.
hmmm, so if it's waiting in a bowl it's mise en place. If it's waiting on your cutting board it isn't?

I can definitely see its place when stir frying. Especially if needing a lot of ingredients in a short amount of time.

I think my mother used to mise en place and probably didn't even know it. I remember seeing cut and peeled potatoes waiting in a bowl of water in the fridge until needed, whereas I get them ready right before they are needed. Minor, but still preparing ahead of time.
My cooking is relaxed enough, and since I only cook for one (basically), that mise en place for me means filling my glass of beer and having it waiting on the counter before I start fixing dinner
Old 11-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

ya gotta remember that this is a french term. it's not as anally defined as many westerners would prefer.if everything is easily reached, ready to be used, then it's mise en place. in a bowl, or on a cutting board, or hanging from the ceiling, etc..

Old 11-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Define anally defined....