"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 05-04-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Question about baking brownies

I never know if I should use a metal pan or a glass pan if the recipie does not specify. I like my brownies fudgy - not cakey. Does the pan make a difference?

Thanks

Quimbydog

Old 05-04-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Ruth
Welcome to the forum quimbydog!

I don't really have any personal experience on this, but I did find this on the Betty Crocker website for you:

Betty Crocker Brownie Mixes FAQ

Can I use any type of metal or glass pan?
Yes, but you’ll get slightly different results with the different types of pan. The best type is uncoated medium to heavyweight aluminum or a metal pan with a gray nonstick coating. Other nonstick or dark-coated pans will give you brownies with slightly chewier edges. Also, if you’re using a dark, nonstick metal pan, you’ll need to trim the baking time a bit. If you’re using an insulated pan, increase the baking time by 3 to 5 minutes. Brownies made in a glass pan will have chewier edges and a fudgier center.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Generally, a darker pan takes a bit less time to bake the brownies. I always use a light pan, but that's cause it's the one mom used for brownies for many years. Stoneware seems to cook the same as light does, btw. The difference in consistency depends on your ingredients. (Do check your recipes on pan size too. Sometimes the recipe will call for a 9x9, but if all you have is an 8x8, the brownies will take longer to bake.)

Here's a great page full of brownie ideas for you:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...searchid=17281
Old 05-04-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not an expert, but, wouldn't the amount of eggs added, made a difference as to cake like or fudgey?Kadesma
Old 05-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Smile thanks guys!

Thanks for all the help! I am so glad I found this board... I love to learn about cooking.

The recipe I have is for a fudgy brownie, but I always seem to overcook brownies for some reason - I was thinking that maybe somehow it was my pans... I usually use a light, non-stick metal pan, but I do have a pyrex pan that is the same size and was thinking that I should use that instead? I love to cook and am pretty good - but for some reason brownies always seem to elude me! (And they are supposed to be easy!!!)

I am supposed to bring brownies to my sister-in-law's this weekend for my mother-in-law's Mother's Day dinner - so I want to do them right! If anyone else has any input or personal experience.. all insight would be appreciated before the weekend!

Thanks

QD
Old 05-04-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

yes, kadesma, the eggs do have a lot to do with the cakiness - but it really depends on the exact recipe, I'd say.
If you want a pretty presentation, here's a few thoughts:
1. when you cut them, don't do it in the pan. Instead, bake them on top of parchment paper, so you can lift out the whole piece when they have cooled. Using a long knife, make your first cut and then clean the knife completely. Do this each time and your brownies will be perfectly cut.
2. Divide the brownies into 3 piles: Toss 1/3 in granulated sugar, Toss 1/3 in powdered sugar and leave the others plain.
3. Or, after cutting them, keep them in the square shape and lay a doily over the top. Shake powdered sugar over the top and carefully lift the doily off. You will have a really pretty pattern on top.
4. Or, put each brownie into it's own cupcake liner, and then cut marischino cherries in halves. Put a drop of icing on top of a brownie and lay the cherry half on top. Repeat for the rest.
5. Or, make or buy candied orange peel (yum!) and put one across the top of each, adhering it with a drop of icing.
6. Or, you can use pansies from your garden and decorate with those (they're edible, so no harm to the food,so long as they've never been sprayed with chemicals)

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:47 PM   #7
Master Chef

Possible problems:

(1) RECIPE: DON'T change anything in the recipe ... especially the fat. IE, if it calls for Crisco or butter - don't try to use vegetable oil!!! Follow the recipe, exactly!

(2) OVEN TEMP: Use an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is the right temp.

(3) PAN SIZE: Use the size pan the recipe calls for.

(4) TYPE PAN: Most recipes will mention the type of pan. A shiny medium-weight pan should be just fine. If you're going to use a dark metal pan, or a pyrex dish, you will probably need to reduce the oven temp about 25-degrees (F) and cook for the time called for in the recipe.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Q-dog -
listen to Michael -
he knows what he's talking about!!
Old 05-06-2005, 07:35 AM   #9
Master Chef

Thank you, Michael! I don't bake often enough to have a big selection of baking pans, so make my pyrex-type pans go for everything. I get a taste for brownies a couple times a year, and while they turn out OK, I know the edges could be better. I'll try the 25 degrees less this time.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Question thanks for all the help

Just to add another fly into the ointment - should I line with foil or not? Does it make a difference?

QD