Question about pastry (wild mushroom puff pastry)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

readymade

Assistant Cook
Hi, my first post here. Hopefuly im in the right place.

I am trying to make a Wild Mushroom Puff Pastry which I had in a restaurant near Los Angeles called Saddle Peak Lodge. Maybe somebody has been there. Very famous place.

So I have got the mushroom and sauce correct, but the puff pastry you can buy in the stores, frozen, is too light and puffy. It needs to be heavier and more substantial because the sauce and mushrooms are quite heavy.

Can anybody recommend a type of pastry that would fit what I need? A pastry that is kind of heavy and dense. The mushroom and sauce is poored over the top.

thanks for your help!!!

readymade

Welcome to the forum. I am not sure what it is exactly you are talking about. But Pepperedge Farm Puff pastry works really well whereever I need the pastry dough.

:)Maybe you need a pie dough instead.What was the puff dough shaped like I have a good bit of experience with puff dough and where did they put the filling?

Last edited:
Hi readymade! I can't help you with the pastry apart from telling you to try and make it yourself and leave it "thick", but I would really apreciate it if you caould send me the recipee for the mushrooms and sauce? I adore mushrooms and so does my boyfriend.
Thanks and good luck looking for the pastry! But I live in Spain so the pastry I buy here you won't find there.

As I said before, puff pastry from the store doesnt work. Too light, airy, and rich. Below is the closest picture I could find to this dish. However, the real dish is a triangle shaped pastry with no opening in the top. The mushrooms and sauce are just poured over the top. Its not a pie crust.

I figured I would have to make it myself, so im just trying to figure out what "type" of pastry it is. Or if its just an adjusted recipe for puff pastry.

For the person who wanted the recipe, here it is. This is to serve about two people.

2 handfuls of assorted wild mushrooms (diced, but not too small)
1 shallot diced
2 Tbsp butter
1 oz balsalmic vinegar
1/2 cube beef stock
3.5 oz heavy cream
salt & pepper
1 tsp garlic
a few shakes worstershire sauce
salt and pepper
1/4 cup smoked duck (optional)

Saute mushrooms, shallots and garlic in butter
Transfer to bowl and let it sit
Add vinegar, cream, beef stock, salt and pepper to empty pan
Simmer until reduced by half or more, stirring occasionaly
Add mushrooms (and duck if using) and simmer a little longer
Pour over puff pastry and serve.
Its also good with meat, lamb, chicken, on the side.
Don't worry about amount of mushrooms in the recipe. I find it better to use more, so that there is less sauce and more mushrooms.

Let me know what you think
thanks for the help
the picture I mentioned is below

mushroomsnarrowweb300x4yf4.jpg

Try the puff pastry again but roll it out a little and use a fork to punch holes into it so it won't puff as much.

We make a very rich and easy "Rough Puff" Pastry using the Cuisinart and

1 pound of flour
1 pound of unsalted butter
1/2 pound of Brie
(all ingredients used cold)

Buzz it up in the Cuisinart until just before it makes a ball. Let it rest in the fridge for about an hour, and roll out and use.

This should be sturdy enough for what you want, and the cheesy crust will add (only) a subtle depth of flavor. It won't compete.

Bon Appetit! :chef:

Thanks Andy, I will try that.

To the last reply, if I don't want to use the brie, can I just leave it out?
Are there any other ingredients I need to use if I don't use the brie? Remember, I don't want a very "rich" pastry. The sauce and mushrooms are rich enough.

thanks for your help!!!

Thanks Andy, I will try that.

To the last reply, if I don't want to use the brie, can I just leave it out?
Are there any other ingredients I need to use if I don't use the brie? Remember, I don't want a very "rich" pastry. The sauce and mushrooms are rich enough.

thanks for your help!!!
you could use more butter, or another creamy cheese. Puff Pastry IS rich. Good puff pastry is basically layers of butter sandwiched between the dough. I say "good," because Pepp Farms unfortunately ujses ersatz butter these days, instead of the real thing. :huh:

:)If you want to avoid the puff dough you might want to consider putting mushrooms and sauce in a ramekin and surround it with toast points for individual servings .Then you just spoon some of the mixture on the toast points.Its actually really good that way.

Last edited:
:)Another option is pate a chou (cream puff paste) which makes a cream puff shell its less rich but not really that firm either.

that picture you posted has a rectangle cut out pf the pastry where the filling is. Maybe they prebake the puff pastry at the restaurant or roll it with a rolling pin to make it more dense.

Back
Top Bottom