"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Old 06-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #31
Executive Chef
Season it before you cook it. Marinade it or use a rub, etc.

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #32
Assistant Cook
Pan sear and deglaze

There's only way to cook eggs and that's in a non-stic pan. When you hear grill in relation to eggs it's when the "grill" is a griddle or large flat cooking surface.
A grill pan has nothing to do with grilling. It's an invention not a method of cooking based on technique.
Only similarity between grilling and grill pan is the way the finished product looks.
The point of grilling is yes there is very little fat (though I like to dress items for grilling with extra virgin, chilis, grated garlic , herbs and corriander seed) and that it picks up that great woody smoky flavor from the juices burning on the coals (the big hype now is that this will cause cancer).
Frying is done in a pan. I like to use a heavy guage stainless pan. Non stic is fine but there will not be the sticky bits left in the pan that get reconstituted into the sauce when you deglaze. Although the finished product from non stic saute is a bit more aesthetically pleasing because those drippings and spices stick to the item being seared. You really need to use plenty of oil.
Too little oil will give you a nasty dry fry. The item can be set on cardboard or paper to absorb the oil and will certainy the excess oil from the pan will be discarded. Check out the pan sear and deglaze videos atif you don't have quicktime download it free from the site It's worth it!

captain cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:46 AM   #33
Master Chef
How funny, and I haven't read the entire thread. When a kid, living half-and-half in Europe and out west, that hunk of metal in the yard was called the barbecue pitt, and anything you cooked on it (always with charcoal) was barbecued. To this day in places I've lived things are called barbecue that wouldn't pass muster by eastern standards. Santa Maria Barbecue (one place I've lived) is really grilled by that standard, and Hawaiian/Korean barbecued meat is also grilled. Then I lived in the southeast, and you'd better ****ed well say grilled and differentiate between that and what I'd generally consider smoked. Sauteed was something cooked in a few tablespoons of oil and moved about in the pan very quickly (actually sautee and, if I remember correctly, chow, really have about the same meaning and really refer to the movement of the food in the pan). Frying means a lot more oil (at least a quarter inch), and you don't move the food except to turn it over once. Deep frying means you immerse the food in oil. One thing that has been mentioned, but needs to be emphasized, is that these terms came about before teflon, propane grills, grill pans. When the terms were coined, grilling meant cooking on a grill, not your stove. sautee-ing and frying meant oil, period. You couldn't sautee or fry in a dry pan, period. You'd ruin that great cast iron pan if you didn't put some oil in it (i.e., season it), and the steel one would be a mess. The terms were coined in a different world than the one we live in now.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote