Quick Pickled Asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
DH would like some pickled asparagus for snacking with his lunch. I know you can drop hard boiled eggs into pickle juice and they will pickle in a few days. Can I drop canned asparagus into a large jar of left over pickled brussel sprout juice and get a similar result? Any thoughts on why this won't work?

You can give it a try, it should would. Asparagus is in season now so you might be able to get some fresh and blanch it and try it.

I personally wouldn't do it with canned asparagus, it's already limp and quite tasteless in my opinion. Like Dave said, it should work with slightly cooked fresh asparagus however. Pickled brussel sprout juice? Did you pickle them yourself?

I was thinking, after my last post that you might be able to use a refrigerator pickle recipe and instead of using cucumbers, use the blanched fresh asparagus.

Refrigerator pickles are made and kept in the fridge. They are not meant to be long-term so there is no canning involved.

... Pickled brussel sprout juice? Did you pickle them yourself?
No, I wish!

I was thinking, after my last post that you might be able to use a refrigerator pickle recipe and instead of using cucumbers, use the blanched fresh asparagus.

Refrigerator pickles are made and kept in the fridge. They are not meant to be long-term so there is no canning involved.
I use my grandmother's refrigerator pickle recipe with cucs in the summer, I'll give it a try. Kayelle,it's similar to what you found but no garlic or mustard seed, just dill, vinegar, sugar and water. Her trick was to boil, pour over, soak and repeat 3 times.

Thank you fr the ideas!

No, I wish!

I use my grandmother's refrigerator pickle recipe with cucs in the summer, I'll give it a try. Kayelle,it's similar to what you found but no garlic or mustard seed, just dill, vinegar, sugar and water. Her trick was to boil, pour over, soak and repeat 3 times.

Thank you fr the ideas!
I love the se quick pickles. Make them for my son he loves them. I add sweet vidalias to the cucumbers, I do add tumerick, celery seed some dry mustard slice 6 cucmbers and to this I add water,vinegar,sugar bring to boil let sit til cool after pouring over the container of cukes and onions they are ready the next day. YUMMO
kades:)

No, I wish!

Thank you fr the ideas!

That sounds like the Scandinavian recipe for cucumber salad.

When you say repeat 3 times, do you mean that you drain the cukes, reheat the marinade and soak them again?

That sounds like the Scandinavian recipe for cucumber salad.

When you say repeat 3 times, do you mean that you drain the cukes, reheat the marinade and soak them again?
Yes. I don't know why she did it this way but the results are wonderful! I usually use the cucs I miss in the garden that are really to big to eat. The seeds soften and they are fantastic in a cheese and mayo sandwich!

Yes. I don't know why she did it this way but the results are wonderful! I usually use the cucs I miss in the garden that are really to big to eat. The seeds soften and they are fantastic in a cheese and mayo sandwich!

I think she was trying to get all the "oomph" out of the marinade :chef:

I'll give that a try.

JM, I'm going to try your grandma's method. That recipe I found didn't call for blanching the asparagus. Hmmm. What is everyone's opinion on that? I'm thinking pouring boiling liquid over them three times will be enough to somewhat tenderize them? Naturally, I'll be snapping off the tough ends.

Now to search for a jar tall enough for the job.

Last edited:
This is her actual recipe and process ...

1 C white sugar
1 C white vinegar
1 Tbl salt
1 sliced onion
8 - 12 med cucumbers, sliced but not peeled (I use like 5 biggies)
4 heads of dill

Bring the brine to a boil (sugar, vinegar & salt), pour over cucs, onion and dill. Let stand 5 minutes. Pour off brine and bring back to a boil. Pour over cucs, onion and dill. Let stand 5 more minutes. Pour off the brine one more time and repeat process of boiling and pouring over cucs. Cover and place in fridge.

I do all of this in a big mixing bowl. Before I put them in the fridge, I sink a plate over the cucs to hold it all down overnight. The next day, I put it all into a Tupperware which is what I'm thinking I'm going to do with the asparagus because, Kayelle, I know won't find a jar big enough. Unless I use the sprout jar .... Hmmmmm :glare:

This is her actual recipe and process ...

Thanks JM........I would have done it all wrong. For some reason I thought this was a three day process. Duh...:rolleyes:

Bring the brine to a boil (sugar, vinegar & salt), pour over cucs, onion and dill. Let stand 5 minutes. Pour off brine and bring back to a boil. Pour over cucs, onion and dill. Let stand 5 more minutes. Pour off the brine one more time and repeat process of boiling and pouring over cucs. Cover and place in fridge.

Thanks JM........I would have done it all wrong. For some reason I thought this was a three day process. Duh...:rolleyes:

If you just leave them in the brine for three days (but they are usually good after half a day or a few hours), that works too. I don't know if it works as well because I haven't tried the triple marinating method yet. My recipe calls for some water too. Sometimes I add thinly sliced (little rounds) of scallion. I bet chopped chives would be good too.

Back
Top Bottom