Roll making question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quaker

Assistant Cook
Trying to find the perfect hot cross bun recipe. The one I last tried had a good flavor, but it was rather dry. Any 'perfect' recipes or suggestions how to improve mine ?

This is the recipe that I use.

It is not perfect but, it is good.

Christmas Fruit Bread or Hot Cross Buns
3-4 cups AP flour (you may not need all of the flour)
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup milk
½ cup water
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 egg
1 t salt
1 package dry yeast
½ cup fruit cake mix, candied cherries, raisins or currants (1/2 cup in total)
½ cups chopped walnuts
Microwave milk, water and butter until quite warm, 120 degrees.
Mix 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast, salt. Add egg and warm wet ingredients. Beat until well combined. Continue stirring in flour until the mixture is quite thick. Dump onto a floured surface and knead adding flour until a soft dough is formed. Add fruit and nuts; continue kneading until they are incorporated into the dough. Place dough in a buttered bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and allow to rise until doubled, 40 minutes. Work dough to remove air bubbles and shape into one large loaf or two small loaves, place in prepared pans and allow to rise approx. 30 minutes. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 35 to 50 minutes until nicely browned and the loaves have a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom. Remove from pans and cool. For hot cross buns shape as rolls and bake at 350 for approx. 20 to 35 minutes.
When cool frost with a mixture of:
1 cup icing sugar
1t vanilla
2 T soft butter
1 to 2 T of milk
Beat until creamy and slightly thin.
Decorate with candied cherries and nuts if desired.

For two small round loaves I use the round stainless steel Revereware double boiler inserts, placed on a baking sheet. Stainless steel mixing bowls or small one quart Pyrex casseroles could also be used.

Back
Top Bottom