"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

This is a very interesting and ON TOPIC discussion, check out this article:

http://www.fastcasual.com/article.php?id=18094

It is a much more difficult transition than the Trans fat reductions were. Food science gave us many acceptable solutions and there were not many variables. Salt is so subjective, all of the points made were valid. It depends what you’re serving with the item and who your serving it to. So how do you get a constant variable? Slash salt altogether and let the end user add it? Do that and everything will taste like crap and you won’t sell crap. The 5 year plan works but thats not the issue.

It's the same issue brough up around the helmet and seatbelt laws. When does the government have the right to protect us, in spite of us?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #22
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I think it is fundamentally incorrect to not salt/season food. Salt(sodium), like fats/carbs, is part of a balanced diet. It, like everything, should be used in moderation.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #23
Senior Cook

forget it.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Well I am basing my chicken stock/salt comment on what is taught in culinary school when teaching how salt enhances flavors. Many culinary schools will put out cups of chicken stock with zero salt to lots of salt and everywhere in between and the students then taste each one from least to most salty to see what the salt actually does.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
...I may have misunderstood? I didn't see anything in his question about salt bringing out flavours:

When it comes to salt bringing out flavours, a better option would be to do some research on spices, and what flavours each spice compliments. It's better for [most people's] health to use as little salt as possible at all times. Everything is okay in moderation, but sodium should be taken into the body in the smaller end of moderation... A pinch here and there is always good to add a little "extra something", but any more than that and you're tasting more salt than food.

Although the OP never used the word flavor, it's why you salt food. The interest is in how salt effects the flavor of food.

Using other seasonings is a good idea. Each adds a distinctive flavor. However, it doesn't address the OP's question, which is about salt.

Water isn't food so it's irrelevant to the question as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #26
Senior Cook

forget it
Old 04-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Okay sweet, more people attack me. Jeeze. Must be a boring day for a few of you.
Most people would simply just brush off an idea they don't like, but instead a handful of you attack my suggestions. You're all great. Great crowd in here. Some nice people on this website...
Have a pleasant afternoon!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #28
Senior Cook

appologies for having a suggestion or an opinion/tip that has worked for me in the past.
God forbid I, who has not gone to culinary school, has any input. JEEZE.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

WOW I have no idea where any of this is coming from nikki. A question was asked and a conversation was started. I was participating in that conversation. Who is getting defensive? It is not me. Perhaps you should look at yourself. Just because you do not agree with what I said is no reason to personally attack me.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
WOW I have no idea where any of this is coming from nikki. A question was asked and a conversation was started. I was participating in that conversation. Who is getting defensive? It is not me. Perhaps you should look at yourself. Just because you do not agree with what I said is no reason to personally attack me.
Pot calling the kettle black, you were the one that attacked my suggestions.
Have a nice day, please stop responding to my comments.