Rule of thumb for salt use? Is there one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a very broad question that has many answers depending on what you are talking about.

If I were to come up with a general catch all rule of thumb for salt then it would be that almost everything can benefit from salt, but having the right amount and using too much can be a very fine line.

Hello,

I was wondering if there's a rule of thumb when using salt?

1. "Less is more." Always use less salt instead of more. You can't remove salt.
  2. It's best to keep it "to taste", and allow each person to add their own salt/pepper to dishes, because one person's "to taste" is different from another person's.
  3. If you spill it, toss a pinch over your shoulder. {hahaha, okay... maybe not that one, but I thought it was funny that I saw a chef do it on a cooking show...:ROFLMAO: }

I think the danger with rules of thumb is that there are cases where the opposite is true and if you go by rules of thumb then you may end up doing the opposite of what you should have done.

For instance, many people think salt less in cooking and let the eater add salt at the table. However if you are making a steak using a dry brine method (my favorite way to make a steak) then it only works if you salt first well before cooking.

There are some federal guidelines in the works to force the food service industry to reduce the salt content by 20% over the next 5 years. This has many folks up in arms for many reasons mostly because we cant control what happens when the product hits the end users hands.

The best takeaway in my opinion is to taste your food now more than ever when deciding to add salt. Kosher salt in a course grind is the preferred product. And Nikki, remember to only throw the salt over the LEFT shoulder.

I better not say, I already have quite a reputation stirred up already. I guess your just going to have to trust me or try it the other way for yourself and see what happens.

Thanks Everyone!

What is the easiest thing to test with and without salt? to see the difference that salt makes.

Thanks Everyone!

I'll give the chicken stock a tried and see the differences between with and without salt.

Thanks Everyone!

What is the easiest thing to test with and without salt? to see the difference that salt makes.

Water.
Not to bash the chicken stock idea, but even that will have naturally occurring salt in the taste. If you want to know exactly how "salty" a certain amount of salt will be, use water. Add salt about 1/8 of a tsp at a time (or even just use 1 ml at a time), then make notes of how tolerable each addition is. I had to do this when making tabbouleh, because for some reason, recipes I had seen online for it prior to coming up with my own had always either had too much or too little salt.

The way I understood the OP's question, he was asking for something to try with and without salt to see the taste difference. Water without salt tastes like water. Water with salt tastes like salty water. However chicken stock without salt tastes very bland and without much flavor at all while properly salted chick stock tastes like chicken.

If he is looking to see what salt tastes like then the water idea works. If he is looking to see how salt enhances flavor then I would not go with water as the salt really is not enhancing flavor in that case as it does with chicken stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom