Scalding jars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confused

Assistant Cook
How does one scald jars? I have a great recipe for Prunes in Port or "Squiffy" Prunes which I have tasted but never made. I have all the ingredients but don't really know how to scald jars. I have jars that seal very tightly that I'd like to use. The seal on the top has what I presume is plastic. Will hot water hurt that plastic?

If they are proper canning jars(mason jars) you will be fine. You need to immerse all the parts into boiling water to sterilize them, and the it is the cooling action once the food is canned and lidded, that provides the vacuum to make it airtight.

The seal is made for it, so no worries.

Dear confused, you will need to have the proper lids to do your canning. Plastic lids won't really get the job done. Of course, scalding the jars will sterilize the jars, but you also have to scald/boil the lids and rings to be certain you have the proper sterile environment for canning your product.

If you mean "plastic" by the ring at the top of the lids, then you might have the proper lids. Still, we don't know for sure without more information.

That is true, katie E. I see in the wording how it could go either way. And you are 100%, ALL parts need to be scalded, not just the jars.

Here is a resource site that covers all aspects of canning. I hope it can help.

I think I know what kind of jars Confused is talking about. I save large pickle jars for assorted uses, and the tops have a plastic liner for sealing. I no longer can pickles, but I do make up a few large jars that I keep refrigerated (we have an extra fridge in the garage), and these jars are great for that. The scalded jars do seal after I add the hot liquid, but I wouldn't chance leaving them out of refrigeration.

scalding jars

Thanks to all who replied. If I get things done properly from Go to Whoa I'll publish the recipe under Fruits and Nuts. confused:)

Back
Top Bottom