Sear slow cook pot roast the night before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the veggies in the same liquid as the roast (so much flavor from the liquid) - if I have time and the chance to stop home mid-day, I par-boil them the night before and leave them out of the crock pot in the fridge overnight - pop (throw, fling, toss, whatever verb suits) the roast in come morning and add the partially cooked veggies early afternoon and turn the temp from low to high. Works every time!

I like "launch.":LOL:

I like the veggies left in with a crock pot roast and oven roasted with an oven roast, but if you ask me, ingredients aside, they are two completely different meals. You are kind of defeating the purpose of using the CP if you are going to take the time to oven roast your veggies.

So, you don't roast the vegis in the same liquid as the meat? Do you dry roast the vegis? How the heck long do you braise your pot roast that the vegis aren't as good done with the meat?

I feel like the flavor of the veggies just get lost in the braise. I much prefer to throw in a carrot or two, plus maybe half an onion, then fish them out prior to eating, and serve dry-roasted veggies with the meat. It really keeps the flavor of the veggies strong, and distinct from one another. I also think that braising a veggie zaps the flavor out of it and roasting in the oven concentrates the flavor of the veggies. Think of cooking a stock, and eating the veggies from it after it's done cooking, they're flavorless. I reduce the braising liquid and serve it as a sauce, pouring it over the veggies and meat. How long I braise totally depends on the meat, but several hour; whenever it's fall-apart tender. Usually at least two hours.

Last edited:
I feel like the flavor of the veggies just get lost in the braise. I much prefer to throw in a carrot or two, plus maybe half an onion, then fish them out prior to eating, and serve dry-roasted veggies with the meat. It really keeps the flavor of the veggies strong, and distinct from one another. I also think that braising a veggie zaps the flavor out of it and roasting in the oven concentrates the flavor of the veggies. Think of cooking a stock, and eating the veggies from it after it's done cooking, they're flavorless. I reduce the braising liquid and serve it as a sauce, pouring it over the veggies and meat. How long I braise totally depends on the meat, but several hour; whenever it's fall-apart tender. Usually at least two hours.

I really never thought of that before, and you have a very valid point. Now I know why I don't like pot roast veggies, they have no flavor of their own.

... I also think that braising a veggie zaps the flavor out of it and roasting in the oven concentrates the flavor of the veggies. Think of cooking a stock, and eating the veggies from it after it's done cooking, they're flavorless. I reduce the braising liquid and serve it as a sauce, pouring it over the veggies and meat. How long I braise totally depends on the meat, but several hour; whenever it's fall-apart tender. Usually at least two hours.

Braised vegetables lose their flavor into the braising liquid. Giving you a very flavorful gravy. Because this is true, I braise a pot roast in two segments. First with all the veggies that give up their flavor to the braise. Then I toss those and add new veggies near the end of the braise so they cook through. Better tasting gravy and veggies.

Braised vegetables lose their flavor into the braising liquid. Giving you a very flavorful gravy. Because this is true, I braise a pot roast in two segments. First with all the veggies that give up their flavor to the braise. Then I toss those and add new veggies near the end of the braise so they cook through. Better tasting gravy and veggies.

We're in agreement, that's why I add some veggies to the braise liquid and take them out before I reduce it to a sauce. In fact I made a recipe and posted it on here a few weeks ago.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/braising-meat-76090.html

I feel like it's a solid recipe, I've made it many times and settled on the preparation there. Be careful when you reduce the sauce if you're using premade beef broth, even the Reduced Sodium type will turn into a salty disaster if you reduce it too far. You can use the butter to temper the saltiness if you reduce it too far.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom