Searing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Cp

Cook
How come so many people say you need to "Sear the meat to lock in the juices" when that is simply not true??

I've heard even "pros" make this claim...

How come so many people say you need to "Sear the meat to lock in the juices" when that is simply not true??

I've heard even "pros" make this claim...

They either didn't read Harold McGee's book, The Curious Cook, or they missed Alton Brown's "dramatization" of that experiment from McGee's book in his "Myth Smashers" episode. :LOL:

This, like mushrooms will soak up 2-3 times their weight in water if you briefly rinse them, is based on olde kitchen lore that nobody ever bothered to question, it was just accepted as fact passed on from chef to apprentice, teacher to student, which perpetuated the myth.

They either didn't read Harold McGee's book, The Curious Cook, or they missed Alton Brown's "dramatization" of that experiment from McGee's book in his "Myth Smashers" episode. :LOL:

This, like mushrooms will soak up 2-3 times their weight in water if you briefly rinse them, is based on olde kitchen lore that nobody ever bothered to question, it was just accepted as fact passed on from chef to apprentice, teacher to student, which perpetuated the myth.

Exactly, but I still find it bothersome... the other day I was flipping thru FoodTV and Paula's Party was on - on the show he had Bobby Flay.. and even HE made the comment of "You gotta sear the meat here to seal in the juices"...........

:/

I know - it's frustrating trying to understand. I especially like the BBQ "experts" who are grilling a steak and emphasize searing th meat to retain the juices - and then stick a big ol' BBQ fork into it to flip it 5-6 times to get those diamond shaped grill marks!

Don't even get me started on the "experts" calling every 5-7 qt pot a "Dutch Oven".

You can't expect everyone to know everything. Even the experts get things wrong from time to time. More and more people are starting to learn that searing does not seal in juices though so there is hope.

I know - it's frustrating trying to understand. I especially like the BBQ "experts" who are grilling a steak and emphasize searing th meat to retain the juices - and then stick a big ol' BBQ fork into it to flip it 5-6 times to get those diamond shaped grill marks!

Don't even get me started on the "experts" calling every 5-7 qt pot a "Dutch Oven".

Exactly!! The evil BBQ Fork...LOL!

I've got three barbeque forks from my sets through the years and I don't think I've ever used any of them even once ;) Just maybe the the one I use to take camping with me to pull bakes spuds out of the coals....
Anyway, I thought the sear was to add color and texture. If I read or hear somewhere that it seals in the juice, I will ignore it :)

Pacanis searing does add color and texture, but you left out the most important reason to sear. It adds flavor.

oops, That's because I didn't know it added flavor til now.
I know it leaves you with little bits of stuff in the pan you can do something with, but did not know it added flavor. Now that I think about it, I guess it would add another layer of flavor :)

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but why is it that when I make fresh hamburgers and sear them, I get a big ol pocket of meat juice on top?

For the very reason that we are all saying that searing does not seal in juices. Searing actually expels juice which is why you see that pool on top of the burger. If searing sealed in juices then you would not see any liquid because it would be sealed inside the meat.

For the very reason that we are all saying that searing does not seal in juices. Searing actually expels juice which is why you see that pool on top of the burger. If searing sealed in juices then you would not see any liquid because it would be sealed inside the meat.

No. A pocket inside the patty. Like a big blister of sorts.

Well searing will not expel every single drop of juice of course so you can still end up with a very juicy product if cooked right, which it sounds like you do.

I'm just curious as to why it makes that pocket. I poked one once and wound up with a hockey puck. I usually use 85% ground beef.

As far as steaks and such goes, who knows? It looks good and tastes good. I think resting is the key to juicy meat.

I'm just curious as to why it makes that pocket. I poked one once and wound up with a hockey puck. I usually use 85% ground beef.

As far as steaks and such goes, who knows? It looks good and tastes good. I think resting is the key to juicy meat.

When you apply heat to meat/fish/poultry, it shrinks. It shrinks as a whole and each of the cells contract as well. This squeezes internal juices out of the cells and it collects in the meat. When you poke or press the meat, the juices escape leaving you with a dry burger or whatever.

This is why you are taught to use tongs rather than forks, to never press a burger on the grill and to rest your meat after cooking. The resting meat cools and the "clenched" proteins relax and reabsorb their juices.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but why is it that when I make fresh hamburgers and sear them, I get a big ol pocket of meat juice on top?

Here's how I learned it in college:
The intense heat of the sear causes the proteins to coagulate rapidly, in which they swell, and as a result, constrict the vessels and pathways by which the juices would leak out. Since those vessels and pathways are closed, and the protein is coagulating, the juices are forced to the center of the item. On a burger, since it's all ground up, especially if it's cooked just a tad to long on the first side, the juices will actually be forced THROUGH to item and will pool on the upper surface. While this is readily apparent in burgers, I've seen it in steaks as well.

If the steak/chicken/fish/etc. is cooked properly, it will be searing on all sides, without the juices being forced out the top (resulting in dry sandpaper meat). These juices will still be in the center of the item, and when allowed to rest after cooking, will naturally distribute back through the item, resulting in a juicy cut of grilled meat.

A lot of doing this is just timing, and experience cooking that item, and knowing your equipment. Last week, I grilled some chicken breast, boness/skinless, marianted, for the Food & Beverage manager. He couldn't believe how good it was! I think the day-time cooks are overcooking the food, as I have to turn the grill down every day when I come in.

I'm not sure you get the picture about the burger. When I make burgers from scratch using 85% ground beef and grill them or cook them in a pan, a large pocket of juice develops INSIDE the burger NOT on top or in a pool or whatever. The first time I ever saw it, I poked the bubble-like pocket and a bunch of juices ran out. I always use tongs, I was just saying what happened that time. When the burgers are done, they are extremely juicy to the point it looks like soup on your plate sometimes.

I really only flip them once and I'm very gentle cooking them. Could that be why they form?

Oh, and I start by searing them, then turning the heat down to finish cooking.

I think this might be why there is some confusion.... your first post you said on top.
But then, I could have sworn I saw an email from this post that said 90% lean :huh: Now it says 85 ;)

I think this might be why there is some confusion.... your first post you said on top.
But then, I could have sworn I saw an email from this post that said 90% lean :huh: Now it says 85 ;)

Well I guess I said the "on top" part because it's on top when I'm cooking it. I changed the 90-85 in like 3 seconds after I posted it. (brain fart)

I'll take a photo next time I make some.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom