Searing fillets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pauliesaprano

Assistant Cook
I'm a good "home chef". I use the cast iron skillet, oven finish for my steaks. My wife raves to our friends about them and they want a taste. My problem is I can only do 4 steaks at a time. My question is, can I sear off a dozen steaks, let them rest and cool as I do the rest and then finish them off at the same time later? I'm afraid the rest and cool then back into a hot oven will compromise my finished product. Is this true?
Thanks,
Paulie

Sure you can. Just tent them lightly. I would pull the first ones a bit earlier than the last ones. They will will continue to cook while they rest. This way, they are all ready at the same time.
Some larger food service establishments cook them to blue, and then finish them off on the grill per everybody's preference. It can be done!!

I'll take mine rare!:chef:

Last edited:
Sure you can. Just tent them lightly. I would pull the first ones a bit earlier than the last ones. They will will continue to cook while they rest. This way, they are all ready at the same time.
Some larger food service establishments cook them to blue, and then finish them off on the grill per everybody's preference. It can be done!!

I'll take mine rare!:chef:

Thank you. Watching Hell's Kitchen I figured they had to be pre-cooking those fillets to get them up so fast. Your steak is in the mail! :LOL:

While working in the cafeteria at college I convinced the chef we could cook steaks to order for the >500 students that came through the line. It was long, hot and a terrific blast of fun and everyone loved their steaks. A big change from the steaks cooked to well done in the ovens for everyone.

The trick is the searing and letting them rest as described.

Back
Top Bottom