Searing steak: what oil do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heat is responsible for searing. Not the oil, not the pan, the heat.

Before you put the meat into the pan, the pan and the oil have to be hot. When you see the first wisps of smoke coming up from the oil, add the meat.

The meat must be dry before going into the pan. Once you put the meat into the pan, don't move it around for several minutes.

If you're doing a larger quantity of meat, such as pieces of chicken or hamburg, don't crowd the pan. Cook in small batches. Too much meat in the pan at one time will cause the temperature to drop too low and the meat will not sear, it will steam.

Doesn't pecan oil carry alot of pecan aroma? Not that that's a bad thing, necesarily, but would you want that in your steak?

For cooking oils I tend to stay to flavor neutral oils with a high smoke point. My oil of choice is peanut, though if I decide to use a more aromatic oil its usually olive oil of some sort. I like herb-infused evoo for certain fish for example. Another one gaining popularity is grapeseed oil. Supposed to be flavor neutral with a very high smoke point.

I'll add a 4th to the no oil way ... we get the pan (either ci or calphalon non-stick grill pan) smoking hot, throw the meat in and don't touch for about 4 minutes. Then flip and leave it alone for another 4 minutes. Done.

If you add oil, I don't think you are really searing as much as frying. The meat never sears to the bottom of the pan and then, using it's own oils, releases to get the good crusties ... it just fries in the oil. Just my limited knowledge ...

college_cook said:
Doesn't pecan oil carry alot of pecan aroma? Not that that's a bad thing, necesarily, but would you want that in your steak?

For cooking oils I tend to stay to flavor neutral oils with a high smoke point. My oil of choice is peanut, though if I decide to use a more aromatic oil its usually olive oil of some sort. I like herb-infused evoo for certain fish for example. Another one gaining popularity is grapeseed oil. Supposed to be flavor neutral with a very high smoke point.

nah... pecan oil has a very neutral flavor.

i don't use much oil... just a quick brushover of the steak and just a little in the pan right before placing the steak inside. again, very, very little in the pan.

JMediger said:
If you add oil, I don't think you are really searing as much as frying. The meat never sears to the bottom of the pan and then, using it's own oils, releases to get the good crusties ... it just fries in the oil. Just my limited knowledge ...

The use of oil does not denote whether or not you are searing the food. It's the temperature of the pan which is the key. If your pan is not smoking hot, you're not searing.

I don't cook steaks in a pan. but preferably over clean wood coals.

However, if I sear a roast prior to cooking it is most times outside on a fish cooker. Like Mr. Ironchef said I want the pan screaming hot, with just enough oil to make the pan look wet!

Back
Top Bottom