"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #91
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
i can only tell u what i have read and it says low setting is 200 degrees,and high is 300 and they say low is a simmering and high is vigorous simmering also known as low boil.
Well, there you go. You have your explanation.

Seriously, people have been cooking for tens of thousands of years. Electricity has only been around for less than 200 years. How in the world do you think people have managed to make food for all this time without getting hung up on the exact wording of instructions?

I honestly think you are being purposely obstinate.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #92
Senior Cook

Just trying to understand....sorry if u think differently. There so much out there on the web and what u read it is very hard for some one to learn when u have different resources that say this is right and no this is for the same thing. I thought it was ok to ask questions here,and if for some reason u didnt understand u could ask more to get it. thank you again for all the help.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #93
Executive Chef

I'm putting this topic on simmer...
Old 03-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #94
Master Chef

No matter what is on the web and how much we will try to explain to you, unless you go and start cooking, and burn or undercook few things/dishes, few times or more, you are not going to understand what is going on. Sad, but true I know.
Here is your homework. Put a pot of water on the stove, bring to a boil then turn the heat down to lowest setting and cook it for 15-20 minutes, observe, take notes. Dump the water repeat the procedures this time turn the heat down to setting one above lowest. Repeat as many times as many settings you have on the stove. Record every time. I hope you have a digital camera. Save every file, store on your PC. Better yet create account on YouTube and upload there. Report back here when all the videos on the web. From there we will be able to help you more as far as simmering going. Otherwise it is empty talk, you still do not know what we are talking about and we cannot tell from here what the real simmering looks like.

P.S. Try the same with lead open and close.

Good luck.

Tags
in, recipe