Simmer, define in a recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in case any one would like to know...i found that a vigorous simmer is actually a low boil.

i am talking about on a crock pot the settings on there. they say low is simmer and the high is considered a low boil.(vigorous simmer)

Do things simmer on the high setting in a crockpot? I have only used them a few times and thought that they didn't.

Not these days. In older models they did, but not any longer. My old crock pot simmers on high but it is from 1990.

i can only tell u what i have read and it says low setting is 200 degrees,and high is 300 and they say low is a simmering and high is vigorous simmering also known as low boil.

I know this is long,I am truly sorry.....but was trying to understand. Didn't want to ask about the high on the crock pot,but didn't understand vigorous simmering.

Last edited:
i have a crock pot book and it says low is a gentle simmer and high is a vigorous. simmer. And from what u all said a simmer is a simmer.

Stop getting hung up on instruction manuals and recipes and pay attention to the food. How many ways does this need to be explained to you?
I smell a troll.

i can only tell u what i have read and it says low setting is 200 degrees,and high is 300 and they say low is a simmering and high is vigorous simmering also known as low boil.
Well, there you go. You have your explanation.

Seriously, people have been cooking for tens of thousands of years. Electricity has only been around for less than 200 years. How in the world do you think people have managed to make food for all this time without getting hung up on the exact wording of instructions?

I honestly think you are being purposely obstinate.

Just trying to understand....sorry if u think differently. There so much out there on the web and what u read it is very hard for some one to learn when u have different resources that say this is right and no this is for the same thing. I thought it was ok to ask questions here,and if for some reason u didnt understand u could ask more to get it. thank you again for all the help.

Last edited:
No matter what is on the web and how much we will try to explain to you, unless you go and start cooking, and burn or undercook few things/dishes, few times or more, you are not going to understand what is going on. Sad, but true I know.
Here is your homework. Put a pot of water on the stove, bring to a boil then turn the heat down to lowest setting and cook it for 15-20 minutes, observe, take notes. Dump the water repeat the procedures this time turn the heat down to setting one above lowest. Repeat as many times as many settings you have on the stove. Record every time. I hope you have a digital camera. Save every file, store on your PC. Better yet create account on YouTube and upload there. Report back here when all the videos on the web. From there we will be able to help you more as far as simmering going. Otherwise it is empty talk, you still do not know what we are talking about and we cannot tell from here what the real simmering looks like.

P.S. Try the same with lead open and close.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom