"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #71
Certified Pretend Chef

The chili simmered OK from 6:00 AM to somewhere between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. That's somewhere between 4-8 hours of simmering. With the lid off, you cooked away a lot of liquid, reducing the quantity of food allowing the remaining food to get hotter and boil.

First, 2-3 hours is more than enough for chili. Second, the burner maintained a simmer for more that 4 hours. That's pretty good if you ask me.

A simmer burner does not absolve you of responsibility to keep an eye on the pot.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #72
Senior Cook

ok. thanks guys.( i was trying to surprise my mom)...i thought the longer it simmered the flavor would go through....should of known about the lid .yes your right a lot of the liquid did boil away,still good just thicker. I will get it yet. By the way ... thank you for putting up with me and my questions. You all have been a big help.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #73
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
ok. thanks guys.( i was trying to surprise my mom)...i thought the longer it simmered the flavor would go through....should of known about the lid .yes your right a lot of the liquid did boil away,still good just thicker. I will get it yet. By the way ... thank you for putting up with me and my questions. You all have been a big help.
You can always add some water back to the chili if it's too thick.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #74
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You can always add some water back to the chili if it's too thick.
Yes indeed. Add a bit of water, stir it to incorporate it until the mixture is uniform, then add some more and repeat until it's the right consistency.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #75
Senior Cook

the water did loosen the chili back up..thanks for the tip. I really hate to ask this but can u explain to me on a crock pot how they consider high to be simmering.I can see the low....but high i dont get. Like i mention before i asked if we have to fiddle with stove to get to a simmer for things,i asked how the slow cooker does it and Andy replied,i understand what he said but dont get the high setting on the crock pot.A simmer is a simmer......I hope i said this right and u know what i am trying to ask.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #76
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The cooking police took the site down because it doesn't know how to simmer.
ROTFLMAO!! I think it boiled over and put out the server!! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I'll be happy to help you with your tech support question, but you'll have to wait until I can move to India or Bangladesh.

I got so tired Googling that I didn't have the energy to click on any links.

Yeah they all say that!
TeeHee
Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #77
Senior Cook

define simmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
the water did loosen the chili back up..thanks for the tip. I really hate to ask this but can u explain to me on a crock pot how they consider high to be simmering.I can see the low....but high i dont get. Like i mention before i asked if we have to fiddle with stove to get to a simmer for things,i asked how the slow cooker does it and Andy replied,i understand what he said but dont get the high setting on the crock pot.A simmer is a simmer......I hope i said this right and u know what i am trying to ask.
so can any one explain to me what high setting on crock pot is?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #78
Wine Guy

<sigh>
Old 03-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #79
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
<sigh>
^
Old 03-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #80
Senior Cook

i have a crock pot book and it says low is a gentle simmer and high is a vigorous. simmer. And from what u all said a simmer is a simmer.

Tags
in, recipe