Simmer, define in a recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried to access the site you mentioned and got an error message 403 forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Since I am Administrator on my own computer, I don't understand this, but I'm not about to push it. I don't need to access bad sites.

It seems that the directions to turn your burner to medium are incorrect.

If I were to use medium heat it would probably boil over. My electric stove tends to boil rather than simmer even on the lowest setting.

Last edited:
simmer

it was up early today. I wouldn't send you to a site that is not what it is suppose to be.

Julia Child has a cookbook called The Way to Cook. I don't know of anyone else who can get away with a name like that. :LOL:

simmer

is this recipe wrong on how it is written...Ingredients
30g butter
1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 cup beef stock

Method
Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add wine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Add stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Season with pepper. Sauce for roast meat.

Last edited:
is this recipe wrong on how it is written...

Method
Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add wine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Add stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Season with pepper. Sauce for roast meat.

The bold italics parts are unnecessary. After adding the wine, you want to reduce it. That means boil it down so it evaporates. There is no need to reduce to a simmer to do that. It just takes too long.

After adding the stock, BTB (bring to a boil) then RTS (reduce to a simmer) by setting your burner to the temperature setting that results in a simmer.

simmer

ok,on what you said. But do you see anything wrong with the wording,bring to a boil reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 min.?

ok,on what you said. But do you see anything wrong with the wording,bring to a boil reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 min.?

Well, my DH would read the recipe the way Andy corrected it and get it right. If it said medium, he would put our stove to medium, which may not be the medium intended by the writer. DH would then make a note to the recipe that medium was too hot or too cool.

YES!

What if reducing the heat to medium on YOUR stove resulted in a high rolling boil or no boil or simmer at all? The person who wrote the recipe has no idea what setting YOUR stove requires to make the pot simmer. YOUR stove may require a medium low setting or a medium high setting to generate a simmer.

For example, on my stove, I have to set the burner to medium low to get a simmer on a big pot. Medium on my stove is a rolling boil.

The recipe writer was trying to be helpful but is just confusing you.

Please forget about the burner setting information to get a simmer.

I was wondering if one could look at that recipe as medium heat, not medium on the dial. But, that's not right. Medium heat is too high for a simmer.

! <--- I don't know how this got here but I like it :)

I tried to access the site you mentioned and got an error message 403 forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server.

I'll be happy to help you with your tech support question, but you'll have to wait until I can move to India or Bangladesh. ;)

Yeah, I got it to come up on Google just fine, but if you click on the link it throws an error.

I got so tired Googling that I didn't have the energy to click on any links. ;)

it was up early today. I wouldn't send you to a site that is not what it is suppose to be.

Yeah they all say that! ;)

The cooking police took the site down because it doesn't know how to simmer.

O RLY! :LOL:

She was a CIA intelligence officer in her earlier years. I bet she was taught how to intimidate someone! :LOL:

That has me so ROTFLMAO that I can hardly type! :D

I'm sure she was CIA, but not the Company... The Kitchen!!! The best CIA IMO! :)

Culinary Institute of America in case any newbies don't get it.

Last edited:
simmer

ok,every body don't get mad I understand what Andy said and others on simmer. Its just I have so many receipes that say,well here's some examples and this is word for word..."medium heat until mixture starts to simmer,reduce heat to medium low and continue to simmer......also place broth in covered sauce pan over medium heat when broth begins to simmer reduce heat to low....also from label of Heinz sloppy Joe mix add sauce simmering on medium low heat ,and a popular forum some one asked they have a receipe that says over medium high heat bring to a simmer and simmer 25 min. Answer ....bring it up to simmer on the suggested temperature and then lower that temperature to keep it at a simmer,left on medium high would go above a simmer rather quickly. During 25 min. Make sure temperature doesn't have to be raised or lower. One last example,cream sauce because of salt,simmer at a high temperature would cut down your time for reducing. And keep it to a low simmer or at most medium simmer. And now from joy of cooking,gentle simmer over medium high heat. ...:dizzy:Perfect Potatoes Au Gratin
adapted from Joy of Cooking

Ingredients:

1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely diced onion
2 1/2 lbs. baking potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
3 cups half-n-half
2 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper
pinch of nutmeg
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.* Rub a 13x9 casserole dish with the garlic clove, then coat with 1 tablespoon of butter.

In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat, add onion and a dash of salt and pepper.* Saute until onion is tender but do not let it brown.* Add all the half-n-half, sliced potatoes, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, nutmeg, and sprinkle in the flour.* Bring to a gentle simmer over medium-high heat, then cook and stir gently until the liquid thickens slightly, about 3-5 minutes.* Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Press down lightly to submerge potatoes.* Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.* Bake for about 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender.**

Last edited:
ok,every body don't get mad I understand what Andy said and others on simmer. Its just I have so many receipes that say,well here's some examples and this is word for word..."medium heat until mixture starts to simmer,reduce heat to medium low and continue to simmer......also place broth in covered sauce pan over medium heat when broth begins to simmer reduce heat to low....also from label of Heinz sloppy Joe mix add sauce simmering on medium low heat ,and a popular forum some one asked they have a receipe that says over medium high heat bring to a simmer and simmer 25 min. Answer ....bring it up to simmer on the suggested temperature and then lower that temperature to keep it at a simmer,left on medium high would go above a simmer rather quickly. During 25 min. Make sure temperature doesn't have to be raised or lower. One last example,cream sauce because of salt,simmer at a high temperature would cut down your time for reducing. And keep it to a low simmer or at most medium simmer. And now from joy of cooking,gentle simmer over medium high heat. ...:dizzy:Perfect Potatoes Au Gratin
adapted from Joy of Cooking

Ingredients:

1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely diced onion
2 1/2 lbs. baking potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
3 cups half-n-half
2 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper
pinch of nutmeg
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.* Rub a 13x9 casserole dish with the garlic clove, then coat with 1 tablespoon of butter.

In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat, add onion and a dash of salt and pepper.* Saute until onion is tender but do not let it brown.* Add all the half-n-half, sliced potatoes, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, nutmeg, and sprinkle in the flour.* Bring to a gentle simmer over medium-high heat, then cook and stir gently until the liquid thickens slightly, about 3-5 minutes.* Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Press down lightly to submerge potatoes.* Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.* Bake for about 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender.**

They are telling you to use medium-high heat to get it to a simmer. Then you continue. Joy of Cooking isn't telling you that you can have it stay at a simmer at "medium-high heat". Note, they write "heat". They don't write, "the medium-high setting" on your stove. There seems to be an assumption that you know how to get your stove to produce heat at the medium-high level.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom