Simmering sauce...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoGreyhounds

Assistant Cook
I've been trying to get a really long simmer (6 hours+) on my San Marzano sauce, but after about 3, all the water boils out and I'm left with overly thick sauce. I've tried adding water but it doesn't "mix" well, and I end up with water and tomatos.

Do I cover it? What do you guys do?

Any particular reason you are going for 6+ hours? Normally you simmer to reduce the liquid and concentrate the flavors and ingredients. You can either reduce you time or put on the lid slighlty off the pot to let the steam condence and run back in, but you may still find that you have to stir back in the condensed water again.

seems like way overkill. Things like demi require that kinda time, but not a tomato sauce, imo.

Once a sauce is reduced to the desired consistency, pull it. Only thing I can think off if you are looking for a 6hour label, but done after 3, cut the heat in half?

I've heard that the longer you let it simmer on low heat, the more the flavors blend and the richer it tastes. Also, what I really like to do is make a decent sized portion and have sauce with both lunch and dinner. So if I make it at noon I'd like it to "last" until dinner, and hopefully get "better". Is that how it works? lol

There's a point of no return. If 2 hours of simmering is good, 6 hours isn't three times better.

You're dealing with veggies here. Tomato, onion, etc. They're cooked to death quickly. Make a big batch and freeze it in meal-sized containers for later use.

If you add meats, there is some benefit to cooking longer to extract the flavors from the meats and their bones if any.

When I'm trying for a long cooking time, I turn the heat off for an hour or so and just let it sit on the burner with the lid on tight. Then, I turn it back on let it come back to a simmer and again turn it off and let it sit on the burner. Kind of like a human crock pot.

When I'm trying for a long cooking time, I turn the heat off for an hour or so and just let it sit on the burner with the lid on tight. Then, I turn it back on let it come back to a simmer and again turn it off and let it sit on the burner. Kind of like a human crock pot.

What do you think this accomplishes?

It lets the flavors steep together without boiling off all the liquid and cooking your vegetables past the mush point.

It may also be growing bacteria.

well, possibly, but on such a small scale it probably would take a team of scientists to find it. it certainly wouldn't grow on hot tomato sauce because of it's acidic nature.

just about any sauce is safe when heated then covered for an hour.

i think the servsafe minumums are two hours outside of the "safe temp" range.

Yeah, id say cover it.

Also, simmering it until it is the consistency you want, rather than for over 6 hours is an option. This is what I do.

Mel:)

Normally you simmer to reduce the liquid and concentrate the flavors and ingredients.

I agree with this. Another way to enhance the flavours, is to leave the sauce in the fridge over night. I always do this with curries, for example.

What do you think this accomplishes?

It is a great way to get jams and chutneys to the right consistency. It helps carmelize them more. If they are left on the heat too long they get burnt. If too short, they dont carmelise enough. So, the on, off, on, off... fixes prevents these problems. It best to let them just cool down, rather than get cold though. Otherwise they are difficult to stirr, and they should be stirred after every heating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom