Skinning Kiwi Fruit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Take kiwi fruit and cut off a bit from the bottom.

Place on cutting surface.

Carefully cut off skin with a very sharp knife.

At least that is the way that works for me.

:) Like Aunt Dot says .
Take kiwi cut off both narrow ends set one end on board or counter carefully go from top end and slide knife in a curve down to the bottom.
This is the same way you would do a cantalope cut in half and scoop out seeds then slice how you like

Last edited:
kiwi fruit

I must be taught differently - I have never peeled a kiwi fruit.

1. slice the kiwi fruit in half around it's "equator"
2. Take a spoon* with a bowl approx the size of the kiwi fruit - I have an vintage tablespoon inherited from my MIL that I use
3. slide the spoon between the flesh and the peel - scoop the fruit out of the peel in a wrist twisting motion - preferably in one piece
4. slice as required

*there are lots of spoons around: select on that has depth and not too shallow in the bowl shape.

I do the equator trick - you can also slice them the long way and scoop them out like an avacado. They can also be peeled with a spoon ... hold it in your palm and scrape the skin off with the edge of your spoon. Kind of like using a paring knife but a little less dangerous.

auzzi said:
I must be taught differently - I have never peeled a kiwi fruit.

1. slice the kiwi fruit in half around it's "equator"
2. Take a spoon* with a bowl approx the size of the kiwi fruit - I have an vintage tablespoon inherited from my MIL that I use
3. slide the spoon between the flesh and the peel - scoop the fruit out of the peel in a wrist twisting motion - preferably in one piece
4. slice as required

*there are lots of spoons around: select on that has depth and not too shallow in the bowl shape.

A friend gave me that hint, auzzi, and it works great! I love kiwi...they remind me of strawberries, except for the lovely green color.

Another question--in Asia we were always served fresh starfruit that was delicious but how canyou tell if they are ripe , they cost quite a bit here in the states--I spent a lot of money on one it was very bitter---any ideas?

Kiwi Fruit! Potato peeler! YES, I tried it out and it works fine. Thank you.

I found that I had to cut the tops and bottoms off first, but then easy-peasy.

Cutting Kiwi fruit in slices and then peeling is a drag!. Peeling and then slicing is a snip.

I recently bought a soft-fruit peeler. Like a potato peeler except it has finely serrated edges instead of plain ones. Great on peaches, plums, tomatoes, kiwifruit etc. Just when I thought I didn't need any more gadgets.

Pat
www.cookingdownunder.com

Auzzie: I have tried your method, and it works for ripe fruit. Unfortunately the fruit avaiable to me in China takes about two weeks to get to the stage where your method can be used. (Incidentally, this method works fine for ripe mangoes)

But unless the Kiwi Fruit is VERY ripe, I find that the potato peeler method works well, and I am grateful for the suggestion by Alix.

Excellent tip, Advoca. I hate peeling mangoes. The thing always seems to end up sliding all over the place. Next time I get a mango, I'll try it.

I use a spoon to peel a kiwi to help keep its shape. I cut it in half and use an ordinary tablespoon to scoop it out. While Star Fruit don't need to be peeled I have almost always peeled it, but that's when I am doing caterings and I want to have similar sizes. Plus it is easier to eat if it's been peeled.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom