"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I've never cooked beans in the oven so can't help there. It's helpful if you set an alarm on your phone to remind you to check long cooking things I've discovered. There were a few burned things in our house before I started doing that. Besides always getting the beans soft, the PC cooks them so much faster.
However did we get along before smart phones? I’ve got three separate alarms on mine (timers, actually); my kitchen timer I, my kitchen timer II, and my kitchen timer III.

And I can hardly wait to either win some money, or for someone to buy me a pressure cooker. Neither is happening soon, I’ll wager. Maybe now is a good time to remind people that my birthday is in 11 days?

Old 07-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Iíve recently been idly wondering why one canít achieve the same results from slowly braising food with a covered Dutch oven as you can with a slow cooker. I have a slow cooker; I dislike it intensely. Itís huge, and itís size and weight makes it a chore to clean; the recipes that Iíve found for it donít appeal to me at all, with ingredients like canned condensed cream of mushroom soup and envelopes of french onion soup powder and jars of orange marmalade, and Iíve never really gotten satisfying results in terms of flavor.

So, I thought, whatís the difference if I use a nice heavy Dutch oven, which in spite of its heft is still easier to clean than a slow cooker crock, and put it in a very low oven, covered? As usual, instead of doing my own hands-on research, I turned to the internet. I have neither the time nor the financial resources to spend on cooking up pots and pots of stew or braised beef or beans. ďLet your fingers do the walkingĒ as they used to say.

I came upon this very interesting article that compares slow cooker cooking to braising in a low oven to pressure cooking. I pretty much ignored the pressure cooking info, as the only pressure cooker I have is only good for canning and itís very unlikely Iíll receive a pressure cooker or an IP (or anything else, for that matter) for my birthday. The article seems to be very well researched. If youíve got a spare moment, check it out and share your thoughts and/or experiences! Youíll find the article here.
I read the article. I don't want to offend anyone but none of the slow cooker food looks appealing to me.

I have 3 appliance that can slow cook

1 - an actually slow cooker that I use to keep foods like mac and cheese or fondue warm but not to cook in.

2 - a VERY old multi cooker circa mid 1980's. It has a temperature dial on it so I can brown foods. It can be a rice cooker, deep fryer, slow cooker and can be used to braise like in the oven. I used it once to slow cook and hated it. I mostly used it for making the best fried chicken. It is now in the back of a closet.

3 - Is my Instant Pot and it will never be used to slow cook.

I would rather slow cook in my cast iron Dutch oven on top of the stove.

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
However did we get along before smart phones? Iíve got three separate alarms on mine (timers, actually); my kitchen timer I, my kitchen timer II, and my kitchen timer III.
Three?! Dude, clean up your phone and just use this one! It's got one for each burner and one for the oven!

https://beautifulpixels.com/iphone/thyme-kitchen-timer/

Click image for larger version

Name:	thyme-masthead.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	30578
Old 07-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Three?! Dude, clean up your phone and just use this one! It's got one for each burner and one for the oven!

https://beautifulpixels.com/iphone/thyme-kitchen-timer/

Attachment 30578
You misunderstood me, I think. When I said I have three timers, I didn’t mean three separate apps. I just have the one app, “clock,” that comes with the phone. I can set as many timers as I need, and label them all how I want to. And I don’t have to open the app to set the timers; good old Siri does it for me - “Hey Siri! Set my kitchen timer III for 30 minutes.”

That app looks very nice, though.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You misunderstood me, I think. When I said I have three timers, I didnít mean three separate apps. I just have the one app, ďclock,Ē that comes with the phone. I can set as many timers as I need, and label them all how I want to. And I donít have to open the app to set the timers; good old Siri does it for me - ďHey Siri! Set my kitchen timer III for 30 minutes.Ē

That app looks very nice, though.
Gotcha. I like the visual of this one
Old 07-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
However did we get along before smart phones? Iíve got three separate alarms on mine (timers, actually); my kitchen timer I, my kitchen timer II, and my kitchen timer III.

And I can hardly wait to either win some money, or for someone to buy me a pressure cooker. Neither is happening soon, Iíll wager. Maybe now is a good time to remind people that my birthday is in 11 days?
I've never used my phone for that. My Chef Alarm probe thermometer has a timer alarm, my microwave has a timer, my range has a timer. Seems like that's about all I'd ever need.

If I set more than one, I have trouble remembering which one is set for what. I have to use sticky notes to keep track.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I've never used my phone for that. My Chef Alarm probe thermometer has a timer alarm, my microwave has a timer, my range has a timer. Seems like that's about all I'd ever need.

If I set more than one, I have trouble remembering which one is set for what. I have to use sticky notes to keep track.
I use a probe thermometer when I'm making meat, but I don't always need that. So that's why I like the visual one that lets you set a timer for each burner and the oven. It just depends on what I have going on.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #18
Master Chef

Pressure cooked stews are never as good as slowly cooked stews. I use my p/cooker (the sort you use on the hob) mainly for boiling a piece of ham or bacon. I did have a go at bottling (ie "canning") some fruit once when we had a glut of apples some years ago but it isn't really worth the effort as I have a freezer and, anyway, the nearest shop selling fresh, canned and frozen fruit is only walking distance away. I have two medium sized slow cookers and I recently picked up a very large one for £2 in the charity shop. I use them for making soups, stews, cooking pulses, boiling the Christmas puddings, and anything that needs a long, slow cook.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:24 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

I don't carry my phone around the house with me. I've found the TimeStick Trio to be very useful, as it's small enough to hang around my neck when I'm away from the kitchen. When I'm making bread, I set one timer for count up, and then a count down alarm when something needs to be done mid-cycle.

https://www.thermoworks.com/TimeStick-Trio

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, oven, pressure cooker, slow cooker